Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power Steering Problems!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 PM
SimmysMom83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problems!!!!!!!

Hi, I have a 1996 Caravan. My power steering is leaking. I tried to use stop leak in it and it continues to "pour" onto the ground. I know its not coming from a hose. I looked under the van and there is 2 accordian looking rubber "boots?" and the fluid is coming from there. When I put the stop leak in it seemed to work for about 10 min then would start to make noises like its straining (best way i can describe it) then all the power steering goes away and fluid is on the ground..I don't know what to look for or to do next! PLEASE HELP!! Thanks so much

Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Crash_Control
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those acordian things are your rack boots .
The rack boots are there to keep the dirt and grime out of your steering rack .
There are internal seals that keep the power steering fluid inside the rack , so if you have fluid pouring out of the boots then the seals are worn out inside and as far as I know the most common fix is to replace the rack .

So you can either hit the pull a part yard or check with your local parts suppliers for a rebuilt rack .

Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto. Change the steering rack.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Problems!!!!!!!