Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A/C only works if I bypass clutch relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:24 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks allot for sharing the info. i certainly hope you have better fortune with the new compressor you will be getting back. i too have loaned tools from autozone. it helps. i looked on line 2 weeks ago for types of loan tools from autozone but didn't see
vacuup pump at all or gauges. i did borrow their puller to remove wipers handles, because i will go for the plugs soon. i also will be working on the CAT. what a pain on van 2006, i got under there and wanted to make sure of bolt sizes. the top right is a murder to get to
no socket can be used.

anyway sounds like you have a good value for the 200 bucks. thanks again. will they give you need pag oil with compressor? or was the oil already within the compressor when it arrived?

i sure hope you write again to give updates as you progress. i am learning.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Danny1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by scotter5
thanks allot for sharing the info. i certainly hope you have better fortune with the new compressor you will be getting back. i too have loaned tools from autozone. it helps. i looked on line 2 weeks ago for types of loan tools from autozone but didn't see
vacuup pump at all or gauges. i did borrow their puller to remove wipers handles, because i will go for the plugs soon. i also will be working on the CAT. what a pain on van 2006, i got under there and wanted to make sure of bolt sizes. the top right is a murder to get to
no socket can be used.

anyway sounds like you have a good value for the 200 bucks. thanks again. will they give you need pag oil with compressor? or was the oil already within the compressor when it arrived?

i sure hope you write again to give updates as you progress. i am learning.
I got the compressor Thursday and was able to get it installed and filled on Friday. The A/C is super cold... The temp out of the vent was 47 degrees. I think the compressor I received originally was defective, because it never got this cold and even less cold with the car on idle. The compressor did come pre-filled with PAG oil. I would check with your local AutoZone, because on the website they do not list the gauges or vacuum pump and they do have it in store. Next project for the Caravan is to find the EVAP leak. I have to see if AutoZone has the smoke machine use to find leaks in the EVAP system.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 AM
scotter5
Veteran

hey danny. some job if leak is in evaporator. i put evaporator with a friend of mine in his jeep. take allot of pics if you have to replace because lot of bolts and pieces to move.
one thing i did to reduce the work time was after removing enough of the bolts i put a rope on the right side of the dash board and lifted it up and put it above the passenger window and then rolled the window up to hold the rope in place.
i found the trick on youtube. did this about 3 years ago.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Danny1976
Rookie

hey danny. some job if leak is in evaporator. i put evaporator with a friend of mine in his jeep. take allot of pics if you have to replace because lot of bolts and pieces to move.
one thing i did to reduce the work time was after removing enough of the bolts i put a rope on the right side of the dash board and lifted it up and put it above the passenger window and then rolled the window up to hold the rope in place.
i found the trick on youtube. did this about 3 years ago.
The EVAP is the abbreviation for evaporative emission control system and it has to do with the fuel system. It takes the fuel gases from the fuel tank and recycles it to the engine for burning.

I have bad news. The compressor is doing the same thing after working fine for 2 weeks or so. The freaking clutch is not engaging. The compressor came with the correct amount of oil. I vacuum the system for 3 hours to get the moisture out and left it about an hour and there were no leaks in the system. I put the correct amount of freon and made sure the pressures were good. The A/C was cold and running fine. This is getting ridiculous. My only option is to take it and have it diagnosed.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:01 PM
scotter5
Veteran

danny thats crazy to have to take it to a shop and pay. you seem very knowledgeable and put probably everything in that should make it work. only thing i can thing of is the switch inside the van telling the compressor to engage is not doing its job.
i'm sure you check power to the compressor, but even if you were getting power, clutch wouldn't engage if switch is not making contact. you'll figure it out.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Danny1976
Rookie

danny thats crazy to have to take it to a shop and pay. you seem very knowledgeable and put probably everything in that should make it work. only thing i can thing of is the switch inside the van telling the compressor to engage is not doing its job.
i'm sure you check power to the compressor, but even if you were getting power, clutch wouldn't engage if switch is not making contact. you'll figure it out.
Today I am going to connect the compressor directly to the battery to see if the clutch engages. I already tried bypassing the Clutch relay and it did not engage. Either the clutch is bad or something is not is keeping it from engaging. I have to test the high pressure switch also and the control module. Will see what I can find out today. Its just sucks when things don't work out, when I did everything a shop would do and then have the A/C fail for a second time.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Danny1976
Rookie

I connected the battery to the compressor and the clutch does engage. The A/C lines have a static pressure of 100 PSI on both high & low, so that's good. The Clutch relay is good and is getting 12v on pin 30. Also the plug going to the compressor is getting 12v. It seems the PCM is not sending ground to the compressor. I am going to see today, if the Pressure Transducer is bad or stuck and not letting the PCM gound the compressor. I ordered a new Pressure Transducer and will test it today. If that doesn't work, then I am afraid it a bad PCM.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

Tried a new Pressure Transducer and the clutch is still not engaging. With the car running, I get 12v from the car to the compressor, but ground is not zero and it reads 6 volts. I can't figure out why is not grounding. I don't see any breaks in the wire and most of it its wrapped. I don't know what to do next. I started a new post, since this one is too long and it was about another issue I had, but it seems like it was removed.

Just started another one and hopefully someone can help.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ml#post3392164

Last edited by Danny1976; 05-10-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:19 PM
scotter5
Veteran

danny you got power to the compressor but no ground when you run directly from the battery. don't you have to run ground also to the compressor from somewhere on the car or the neg. battery pole?
also can't you find the pin going into the pcm to ensure there is no oxidation. i have a haynes and i can look it up to see which pin if it has it in the book if you wish for me to?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

danny you got power to the compressor but no ground when you run directly from the battery. don't you have to run ground also to the compressor from somewhere on the car or the neg. battery pole?
also can't you find the pin going into the pcm to ensure there is no oxidation. i have a haynes and i can look it up to see which pin if it has it in the book if you wish for me to?
When I test the compressor directly to the battery I did connect the positive and negative and the clutch did engage. Where I am not getting ground is when I test the plug coming to the compressor. The plug that comes from the car to the compressor does have 12v, but no ground. Same goes for the clutch relay, if I am testing it right. I watched this video and did what he did. But he found a wire ripped and thats not my case from what I can see. He tested the relay connection on the control 86 and 85 and then 30 and 87. I do have 12v on 30. When he test 85 and 86 the control, he gets 12 volts, but when I do it, the number are all over the place.

Last edited by Danny1976; 05-10-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C only works if I bypass clutch relay