Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Questions about my 98 Caravan SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:20 AM
NCC-2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my 98 Caravan SE

Hello all. Been searching around and reading threads about the Caravans and decided to register just to gain some more insight. I recently acquired my 98 Caravan SE from my parents. They bought a 2006 to replace the 98 and since the 98 was worth little to nothing as a trade in they decided to give the 98 to me.

The main area I'm focusing on right now is the stereo. I have replaced the headunit with an aftermarket unit, and it works pretty well. The speaker on the passenger side of the dash doesn't work, but I'm not sure if it's the wiring or the speaker itself. My front doors have speaker grilles on the door panels, but I'm not sure if it has speakers there, as I don't think I get sound out of either door. I want to at least get the dash speaker working, so I'm thinking of pulling the top of the dash off and seeing if I can figure out if the problem is the wiring or the speaker. Other than that I think it's all good. The rear speakers work, and it sounds alright as long as I don't crank the bass to high.

Anyone have any advice to get myself more familiar with this van? I'm pretty well versed with my other two vehicles, a Sunbird and a Cobalt, but I'm pretty new to the world of these vans. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
You may want to remove the front door panels and inspect for speakers. And add them if needed. Or check for power and ground if you have them.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 AM
NCC-2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my stereo figured out. The speaker in the dash was shot, so while I was at the junkyard I grabbed the speakers out of a van with the infinity system. They sound way better than the ones I had. My doors don't have speakers in them, and I think I'll leave it that way. Less stuff to go wrong down the road.

On another note, while I was at the junkyard I found a van that had the exact same interior color scheme and seat pattern as mine, but it had second row bucket seats while mine had a bench seat. I grabbed the buckets (plus all the speakers) for 80 bucks, and swapped my bench with the buckets. So much better this way. I had to modify the carpet somewhat in order for the seats to latch properly, but I got them in.

Quick Reply: Questions about my 98 Caravan SE