Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Grand Caravan Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:56 PM
kermit911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan Fuel Filter

Hello, does my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan have a fuel filter?

Second part:
If not, I'm not sure what is causing my van to stall. She has 73,000 miles on her, and twice so far after I get done filling the tank up with fuel and come to a stop sign or slow down to make a turn she will stall. The van has done this to me twice in the past week right after I fill the tank with gas. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

Old 10-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and does not require replacement as maintenance. Could be a dirty throttle body. Could be a flooded vapor canister.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM
kermit911

Cool, thanks Tizzy1

Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't recall what it is called but it appears the valve that is supposed to keep gas from traveling to the vapor canister (part of the EVAP system) is not doing it's job. The valve is built into the fuel tank so the only remedy is to change the fuel tank. In the mean time if you are topping off the tank after the fuel lever pops off when refueling, stop. If you're not topping off, don't fill the tank.

Poked around and found this:

"2005 Dodge Caravan stalls after refueling...started slightly 5mo ago, now it actually stalls...only occurs within the first five miles of refueling or so when I stop...if directly back on highway, doesn't stall.

Answer:

It sounds like you may be getting liquid fuel into the evaporative system, flooding the vapor canister and then flooding the engine at low throttle angles (like idle) when coming to stops.

The fuel tank uses a venting system that allows vapor to be pushed out into the vapor canister as you add fuel. This venting is necessary or the fuel being introduced would have back up in the filler neck and repeatedly shut the nozzle off.

Once the fuel level reaches its designed maximum point, a float in the ORVR (onboard refueling vapor recovery) valve rises and seals the tank vent and pressure builds, backing fuel up into the fill neck and shuts it off. Your ORVR is apparently not sealing completely or at all, allowing liquid fuel to pass to the vapor canister.

This vapor needs to be purged almost continuously to control evaporative fuel emissions as you drive, being drawn to the engine and burned with the other (liquid) fuel. It's an efficient system, something that ensures close to 100% of the fuel you pump into the tank is actually burned and not released as a pollutant.

But the engine management systems are calibrated to expect only vapor from the evaporative purge system... when liquid is passed, it's going to have much greater impact on fuel/ air mixture which is why you see the stalling.

Immediately after stalling and restart, the purge system will temporarily be disabled as a certain amount of time needs to pass before the engine can be stabilized sufficiently to handle purge flow once again. This may give you 30 to 60 seconds of decent idle quality before the next attempt at purge flow. Eventually, liquid fuel is removed and idle control returns to normal.

A way to positively identify the passage of liquid fuel in the purge line would be to wait until the engine stalls, then pull the two purge hoses off at the purge solenoid (near air cleaner front) and inspect them for liquid fuel. Disconnecting the purge solenoid after a fill event will prevent the solenoid from opening, another way to tell if the purge system would make a difference. Disconnecting the purge solenoid will turn the MIL on of course, and can only be done for diagnostic purposes like this.

Repair will be expensive, requiring fuel tank replacement since the ORVR valve is plastic-welded directly to the tank body.

Last edited by Cougar41; 11-01-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
unimogdave

I am having the same problem on my 2006 Caravan with approx 52,000 miles. Its been doing it for as long as I can remember. Usually stalls once after refueling then is okay. Since I (well my wife) has been dealing with it for a long time, not likely that I will replace the fuel tank. Will be looking for a fix though.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
unimogdave

When I had an old Unimog, the Gas tanks vented to the air. You always had a fuel smell behind the cab (convertible truck). In order to get rid of the smell and do something for the environment, I put a steel vent line upto the airbox. So I was doing some thinking, the way Dodge is venting the Charcol cannister, is right at the intake where the vacuum is highest when you are off the throttle. For example when the system purges, you can flood the engine the first time you get off the throttle like at a traffic light. Anyway, for an experiment I installed a fitting on the air box, blocked off the vacuum port and ran the purge line to the air box. I ran it through a clear fuel filter so I can monitor if any fluid enters. My thinking is that using the airbox, the vacuum will occur with the throttle open and less chance of stalling. Since I gassed up yesterday I was only able to put 15 bucks in today but filled it to the brim and all appears okay. Real test will be when filling from empty. I have no idea if this setup will properly vent the charcol cannister but I don't need this thing stalling when DW is making a left hand turn in traffic.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Grand Caravan Fuel Filter-imgp2658.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2006 Grand Caravan Fuel Filter