Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Grand Caravan, 3.8, 96k - NO power, won't rev.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM
GeneralDisorder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan, 3.8, 96k - NO power, won't rev.

I'm working on this for a friend - first time poster here. Hoping someone has seen this before.....

The engine just won't rev past about 2500 RPM. It's smooth till about 2k and then acts like it's exhaust is plugged up. It was throwing three codes for the EGR (403, 404, and 406) as well as a 420 code for catalyst effeciency - which I assumed was probably due to the EGR malfunction and had possibly damaged the cat.... I replaced the EGR with a new one and cleared the codes. Now it's not giving me any codes but then it's hard to drive it far enough for it to run through all the readiness monitors....

It's completely gutless - if you accelerate slowly it will get to about 25 MPH but the engine falls on it's face after about 2500 RPM. No matter what you do it will not rev much higher. In neutral it will start bucking and coughing past 2500.

I have checked for an intake restriction - ran it with the filter top removed and I can see down to the throttle plate and there's nothing restricting it. Filter was in place and undamaged so it looks like it's not being choked on that end.

I pulled the "rear" O2 sensor which is actually in the center of the cat and checked the honeycomb with a flashlight and mirror - it's intact and normal grey color. When I shake the exhaust and kick the muffler there is no rattling so I assume the matrix isn't blown apart and stuffing up the pipe but I suppose it still could be.

I was thinking I would disconnect the cat and try running it like that just to be sure it's not exhaust that's the culprit.

Should I be looking at fuel pressure?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 11-17-2011, 05:35 PM
GeneralDisorder

Tested fuel pressure - looks like it's ok there. About 55 psi.

Checked the MAP sensor (found something about this in a previous post) and cleaned that. No change.

Rick

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 PM
GeneralDisorder

Pulled the cat off the header and ran it without the exhaust attached - same problem.

Back to square one....

Rick

Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 PM
PrestonVile

no power wont go past 3000 R P M with breaking up

Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
PrestonVile

Originally Posted by PrestonVile
no power wont go past 3000 R P M with breaking up
breaks up at 3000RPM

Quick Reply: 2006 Grand Caravan, 3.8, 96k - NO power, won't rev.