Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 grand caravan rear shock absorber replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM
rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 grand caravan rear shock absorber replacement

I'm preparing to replace the rear shock absorbers and want to know how to put the rear on jack stands. I have the factory-installed ground effects panels around the bottom exterior side sills of the vehicle with special hoisting pads - they are labelled HOIST POINT. Do I have to use the floor jack to raise one side, place the jack stand there and then do the other to get both on floor jacks at the same time or do I replace 1 shock at a time? Also after both jack stands are in place, the Haynes repair manual says to raise the axle just enough to support the weight of the axle - is center of axle a valid point to place the floor jack?

thx

Old 11-27-2011, 12:48 PM
rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrench size for bolt ?

Also what size wrench do I need to remove the two bolts? seems like a 3/4 inch. don't want to mess up the bolt.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put the jack stands under the axle, otherwise it will drop too far to get the new shock on. The bolts are 18mm heads.

Quick Reply: 97 grand caravan rear shock absorber replacement