Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear hatch struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 PM
lroland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch struts

I have a 2004 Grand Caravan. Do the struts on the rear hatch fail and can they be replaced. In cold weather the hatch will not stay up without holding it.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:33 AM
papaduck
Professional

Yes, the struts do fail. Not hard to replace. Most parts stores can get the replacements if they do not have them in stock. Ebay lists them, just make sure you get the right length, connectors and the lifting power.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM
wilcom
Amateur

I just replaced the struts on the hatch on my 95 Caravan, just takes a torx socket and a post to prop up the tail hatch while changing them.

I went to the junk yard and found a set that had good action for $12 for the pair. My local parts place wants close to $50 for a pair of air struts. I put the extra $38 in the fuel tank.

Joe

Riverside, Ca

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can get someone to hold the hatch up, it makes things a whole lot simpler. There is only a very limited range of motion to get the hatch bolt started so getting something to hold it in exactly the right place can be a challenge and you definitely don't want the hatch coming down on you.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
mrHermit

I remember years ago receiving a recall notice for the rear door struts on my 93 Dodge grand Caravan. I took the notice and the van to the dealer and they replaced them at no charge. I don't know what model years this recall affected or even if it's still in effect today, but you might want to check with your dealer before you replace them yourself.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 PM
lroland

Thanks for the advice, I changed them out, about $23 each, works great now.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch struts