Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Dodge Caravan -- Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you bought the replacement hardware kit, it should have a new retaining clip

not much help on the broken brake line,

Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

uh...
you should put a Wrench on the Brake tube Nut to lock it, and spin the Wheel Cylinder instead. But a little too late for this advice... looks like you'll have to do get some brake lines from part store and custom bend it.

regarding the clip, You just have to wack it with hammer and screw driver. Or just go buy a pack of Drum brake hardware kit that comes with bunch of new spring, Clips for $10 from part store. (There might be extra or wrong spring in the package)

Old 12-21-2011, 11:25 PM
quantass
Professional

Originally Posted by steak59
uh...
you should put a Wrench on the Brake tube Nut to lock it, and spin the Wheel Cylinder instead. But a little too late for this advice... looks like you'll have to do get some brake lines from part store and custom bend it.
Damn. The service manual only stated to remove the tube showing a photo of the backend. I never would have guessed i had to hold the nut and spin the cylinder. I guess that's where experience trumps logic.

So the only thing i can do now is replace the entire brake line / tube? Is it a simple piece to remove / replace?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by quantass
Damn. The service manual only stated to remove the tube showing a photo of the backend. I never would have guessed i had to hold the nut and spin the cylinder. I guess that's where experience trumps logic.

So the only thing i can do now is replace the entire brake line / tube? Is it a simple piece to remove / replace?
You look for the Flexible Brake hose that goes from the Body to the Axle beam. You replace the section from the Flex hose valve to the Wheel Cyln.
It is pretty easy, go to Part store, look for 3/16" (pre-flared) brake lines. They usually sell them in 6 feet, I believe you will need 2. so u might have to roll them up because they are too long.
Also buy a Bag of Long Zip ties and 2 feet of small Vacuum/coolant Hose.
Because the Brake line you are about to install will probably not fit perfrectly, you need to Cut/split up the Vacuum/coolant hose to cushion the brake line from rubbing.
Just make sure u do NOT route the brake lines to where it can get Cut when the suspension move up and down.

The Dealer can order you the Pre-Bent ready to go brake lines that was on the Van. However, they are so expensive, and roughly the same amount of work to install, it makes more sense to just bent you own brake line.

Those little shim clip that came with your front pad, I think you are safe to throw them away, if the New pad look exactly the same as the old pad.

Last edited by steak59; 12-22-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 AM
quantass
Professional

You look for the Flexible Brake hose that goes from the Body to the Axle beam. You replace the section from the Flex hose valve to the Wheel Cyln.
It is pretty easy, go to Part store, look for 3/16" (pre-flared) brake lines. They usually sell them in 6 feet, I believe you will need 2. so u might have to roll them up because they are too long.
Because the Brake line you are about to install will probably not fit perfrectly, you need to Cut/split up the Vacuum/coolant hose to cushion the brake line from rubbing.
Just make sure u do NOT route the brake lines to where it can get Cut when the suspension move up and down.

The Dealer can order you the Pre-Bent ready to go brake lines that was on the Van. However, they are so expensive, and roughly the same amount of work to install, it makes more sense to just bent you own brake line.

Those little shim clip that came with your front pad, I think you are safe to throw them away, if the New pad look exactly the same as the old pad.
Beautiful reply. I will follow the instructions in the morning to get this nuisance resolved.

Actually it is probably nothing but i should ask to avoid another issue...

The wheel cylinder is still in place. I did not remove the final 2 mounting bolts from the backside. I'm assuming they are your regular 9-10mm? bolts that need to be unscrewed and the wheel cylinder will fall off. I had trouble getting my socket wrench to catch and turn.

Again greatly appreciated for all the assistance so far!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by quantass
Beautiful reply. I will follow the instructions in the morning to get this nuisance resolved.

Actually it is probably nothing but i should ask to avoid another issue...

The wheel cylinder is still in place. I did not remove the final 2 mounting bolts from the backside. I'm assuming they are your regular 9-10mm? bolts that need to be unscrewed and the wheel cylinder will fall off. I had trouble getting my socket wrench to catch and turn.

Again greatly appreciated for all the assistance so far!
Well, you just have to hammer a Socket on. I think it is 8 or 10. If it gets round off, you'll have to get some Extract socket.
Try not to use 12point socket and wrench, they tend to round things off. Use 6point socket only.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
quantass
Professional

I wanted to check with the dealer and they said NOPE they dont have any pre-bent brake lines that i can order specific for my car. They insisted i bring the car in and they will custom fit something. $12 part but then labour fees. Ouch.

So, Steak, your solution is looking might fine. I will try it. I see what you're saying and will get back to you.

Just in case here is a photo of my existing wheel cylinder brake line that was damaged. It is still attached to the car and is clipped against the axle. Nothing touched.

Name:  IMG_3898.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3899.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3901.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3902.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 12-24-2011, 03:03 AM
quantass
Professional
Question What Is This?

I purchased a drum brake hardware kit. It comes with all the necessary springs and such but what the heck is this plastic black item....

Name:  IMG_3966.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  41.6 KB

What is its use? The old drum and parts had nothing like it.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:17 AM
jumpdrive2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are the adjustment hole plugs on the back of your brakes, as seen in your pic. You stick a adjustment tool (screw driver) through the hole to tighten the brakes. After you adjust the brakes you put the piece in the hole to stop excessive dirt from entering.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:18 AM
quantass
Professional

Originally Posted by jumpdrive2
Those are the adjustment hole plugs on the back of your brakes, as seen in your pic. You stick a adjustment tool (screw driver) through the hole to tighten the brakes. After you adjust the brakes you put the piece in the hole to stop excessive dirt from entering.

Thanks so much JumpDrive. That makes sense. I never considered looking on the backside of the plate.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Caravan -- Brakes Question