Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

8 in. hose on pwr steering cooler keeps blowing off

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 PM
jeremywatson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 in. hose on pwr steering cooler keeps blowing off

Love my '01 Grand Caravan, but it has developed a power steering leak that's driving me nuts. Wife left for work one day, and I noticed a huge wet spot on the driveway. When she got back, the power steering was whining and she was out of fluid.

Traced it to the 8 in. rubber hose that connects the power steering cooler to a rigid line that I believe runs up to the reservoir. Just spring clips on a rubber hose, so I thought "no problem." Looked like it was leaking from both ends, so I replaced with new 3/8 fuel line. The outside diameter was ever so slightly smaller than the original, so I replaced the original spring clams with the screw drive worm type.

Everything worked great, no leaks for a week. Then power steering started whining again, fluid low, puddle on driveway again. Took another look and the hose I had replaced had blown half way off at each end. Figured I hadn't tightened the clamps well enough because I had been using a screw driver and one clamp was a little hard to get to, so I got the right sized nut driver, pushed the hoses all the way back on, and then tightened them up good and tight with the nut driver.

No problems, no leaks, all's well driving around all day in Christmas shopping traffic for one day. But I woke up this morning and there's a huge puddle of fluid on the driveway and the reservoir is dry. Looked again, and one side of the hose is completely blown off. So the question is: does anyone know how much pressure is in that line, and does anyone know what might be causing an increase in pressure?

I made sure there was not kink in the line. Cut it to the same length as the original, and it had a nice gentle bend in it every time I've checked. But I've got about two full quarts of power steering fluid on my driveway now, and it's starting to drive me nuts.

I've seen the similar question asked before, but couldn't find an answer. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance, and merry Christmas eve eve to all.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What engine size is you car? every engine have different pump. and the hose going from which component to which component? try trace it down, the pressure line goes 2000PSI, the return line is probably less than 20 PSI.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
jeremywatson

If the engine size matters, it's the larger 3.8. Tizzy1 has posted some excellent diagrams a couple of times. Here's one link: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...port-3-3l.html

Those say they are for the 3.3, but they look the same as my setup.

The hose that is leaking is connected to the power steering cooler mounted under the van. There are two rubber hoses that connect to the finned cooler. One is longer, the other is only about 8 in. and connects to a rigid line on the other end that I believe runs up to the reservoir. That shorter one is the one that is leaking. It is a rubber line and was originally held on with spring clamps, so it can't be a high pressure line. Still, it seems to keep blowing off.

There is a flange on both the rigid line and on the line coming from the power steering cooler that the rubber hose buts up to when it is pushed all the way on. Since the hose clamps don't seem to be holding I'm tempted to use tie wire up over the flange. That might hold the hose on, but I'm still wondering why there's so much pressure that it keeps blowing off.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe u should try to pick up Power Steering lines from the dealership. Power Steering fluid is ATF, they Eat rubber. It is possible that u are using wrong type of hose for the application.
Change the Power steering reservore as well. it has a Screen filter that usually gets clog. Perhaps that can build up some pressure on the return line.

And I believe the shorter hose that connect to the rigid steel line is from the Rack and Pinion to the cooler. If the Cooler is clog, you could build up some pressure. If you have compressed air, might want to try blasting thru the cooler, if not, get a bottle of brake cleaner and spray in.

Last edited by steak59; 12-24-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:08 PM
jeremywatson

Thanks for the suggestion. It's certainly worth a try. In that other link, Master Tech reported that "The hose is a bulk hose which is 3/8 in diameter. Mopar number is 5135964AA. The hose diameter is not 11/32." I guess I assumed that any regular black rubber 3/8 line would work.

The dealership will be closed until after the holidays, but I'll report back next week if it does the job.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OEM parts are molded for the application. My wife got stranded on a trip by a blown hose and the mechanic replaced it with something that works but hangs down because it isn't preformed to fit properly.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:40 AM
papaduck
Professional

Is the power steering cap vented? I do not know if the cap is vented on the van. I know on my truck the cap is vented one way to release pressure as it heats up. If it is vented then it might be clogged and could build enough pressure to push the hose off.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
toolman911965
Default same problem

I have the same problem with my 2002 grand caravan, at least once a year I am replacing the hose, usually in cold weather. yesterday it was 11 below and I went to town after letting the van warm up, went to the drug store and came out the smaller hose leaked all over. I put fluid in and went home, by the time I got home it was empty again these hoses seem to have a propensity for leaking. I had a horrible time getting the hose on under the van, even heated it gently with a heat gun. is there a better trick to get the hose on without taking everything apart, it is very tight under there not much room to get your hands. I got one on and used a screw type clamp, only could get it on a half inch from the bulge where it is supposed to go up to, so I know it will blow eventually. the fluid I had in the van was like syrup, or worse, is atf fluid better? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:17 AM
cathyc
Default my 03 Chrysler town and country

My Town and country just started doing this last week.. does anyone know why or what we can do to fix it?? It started just leaking power steering fluid about 2 months ago so we were constantly putting it in and now it keeps blowing that hose. before I go and spend a ton of money for a mechanic to figure out what's wrong I was hoping to get an answer here.. Thanks

Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 PM
jonathanmcfadden63@gmail.com

what would be the reason for the power steering cooler hose to keep blowing off ????

Quick Reply: 8 in. hose on pwr steering cooler keeps blowing off