Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Drivers Side Control Arm Noise Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 AM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drivers Side Control Arm Noise Fix?

There is a dry clicking type noise coming from the control arm that comes off the bottom of the spindle back to the undercarriage.

I was all set to look at the sway bushings again but upon a little prying I could get it to repeat. Its the cast metal curved control arm where it attaches to the frame area at the back of the wheel well.

Whats involved in fixing or lubing this?

Yopu can pry on the bar to make it repeat. You can roll slow and brake and make it repeat,
You cannot bounce the van with your weight and make it repeat.

Last edited by 2therock; 01-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
2therock
Veteran

Bump! C'mon, anyone ever have this?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
mrtinker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Clicking Noise"

I have replaced all the bushings on this part recently. (97' GCV) I wouldn't recommend replacing the "inserts" unless you have the proper tool to press them out/in again. It was a bitch to do with out it!

As far as the rubber bushing that your referring to, I think they cost less than $20 for the set from AutoZone. They were easy to replace... just lubed them up with some WD-40 and they slid right off. Did the same to the new ones to get them back on. You probably won't even need to remove the arm to do them.... Although I did mine on the bench.

Hope this helps! And make damm sure you get all those bolts TIGHT when your done!

Mrtinker

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bushing Replacement
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove the control arm from the vehicle.
Press the front bushing out of the control arm.
Cut the rear bushing lengthwise and remove it from the control arm.
To install:
Press the front bushing into the control arm until the bushing flange contacts the control arm.
Lubricate the rear bushing with silicone spray lubricant and push it onto the control arm.
Install the control arm to the vehicle.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 PM
2therock
Veteran

Thanks Guys,

Do you think I can do the big rear one on the van without removing the A-arm from the spindle?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REMOVAL - LOWER CONTROL ARM
  1. Raise vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
  2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove the steering knuckle. (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/KNUCKLE - REMOVAL)
  4. Remove the bolts fastening the power steering cooler to the front suspension cradle crossmember reinforcement (Power Steering Cooler).
  5. Remove the lower control arm rear bushing retainer bolts located on each side of each lower control arm rear bushing. NOTE: The bolts fastening the cradle crossmember reinforcement are of three different thread sizes. Note the location of the various sizes.
  6. Remove the bolts attaching the cradle crossmember reinforcement to the front suspension cradle crossmember (Cradle Crossmember Reinforcement Attachment). Remove the 2 bolts fastening the reinforcement and rear of cradle crossmember to the body of the vehicle. Remove the reinforcement.
  7. Remove the pivot bolt attaching the front bushing of the lower control arm to the front suspension cradle crossmember.
  8. Remove the lower control arm.

DISASSEMBLY - LOWER CONTROL ARM (REAR BUSHING - HYDRO)
  1. Remove the lower control arm from the front suspension cradle. (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/LOWER CONTROL ARM - REMOVAL)
  2. Mount the lower control arm in a vise without</B> using excessive clamping force.
  3. Install Remover, Special Tool 8460, on hydro-bushing as shown (HYDRO-BUSHING REMOVAL). Removal Pin, Special Tool 8460–3, must extend though hole in center of bushing rear.
  4. Tighten forcing screw of Bridge (Special Tool 8460–1), removing bushing from lower control arm.

DISASSEMBLY - LOWER CONTROL ARM (REAR BUSHING - STANDARD)
  1. Remove the lower control arm from the front suspension cradle. (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/LOWER CONTROL ARM - REMOVAL)
  2. Mount the lower control arm in a vise without</B> using excessive clamping force.
  3. Using a sharp knife (such as a razor), slit the bushing lengthwise (Slit Lower Control Arm Rear Bushing) to allow its removal from the lower control arm (Slit Lower Control Arm Rear Bushing).
  4. Remove the bushing from the lower control arm.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM
2therock
Veteran

WoW, Thanks!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
brnbmrtnz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Tizzy1 it was a lot of help when I did mine's this weekend
a thanks mrtinker for the heads up on the inserts thosae did gave a little trouble

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Control Arm Noise Fix?