Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Caravan SXT NOT STARTING NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012 | 10:10 PM
Paul Clawson
|
Default 2004 Caravan SXT NOT STARTING NEED HELP!!!

Hi new to the forums here. I have a 2004 Dodge Caravan SXT 100,550 miles, auto trans., problem is "It won't start" I had advancedautoparts check the alternator, starter, battery they were all good. I got a engine scan, no codes came up. I replaced the battery wires still didn't start. I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, still nothing. If I jump it with a battery charger or another car it will start and run, to get to my destination. Sometimes it randomly will start if I turn the car to crank maybe 15-20 times. But now it won't start unless I jump it? Any suggestions at what this might be? The guy at advancedautoparts said that the battery was in perfect condition (it was purchased 1 year ago), and he said there was a leak in power supply, the battery was not leaking but he said there was a small leak during ignition, has anyone had this problem?

Also changing the first three spark plugs were easy, but the other three were a PITA!

Old 01-03-2012 | 11:07 PM
maxbaby
Rookie

Have a look at the fusebox (Integrated Power Management unit is what i think it's called) in the engine compartment, as there's a common problem with connections under it corroding.

Last edited by maxbaby; 01-04-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2012 | 12:42 AM
Paul Clawson
|

maxbaby, are you talking about removing the fusebox and looking at the connector? Is that from the positive or negative battery cables? Is there any guides or past posts regarding to my issue that you know of?

Old 01-04-2012 | 01:37 AM
maxbaby
Rookie

Do some searching and you should find a number of posts... here's a recent one talking a bit about it...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ng-in-out.html

Old 01-04-2012 | 08:08 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

I would also check the following:

1) That you are getting spark when you try to start it WITHOUT jumping it
2) All connections from the battery are tight and secure (check BOTH ends of the wires from the battery)

Old 01-04-2012 | 08:51 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Does the starter/engine turn over at all? are you having a No Crank, no start or you have a Crank but won't start problem? I am a little confused on your description.

Quick Reply: 2004 Caravan SXT NOT STARTING NEED HELP!!!