Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P0420 after replacing Cat and both O2

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:03 PM
tdidog
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this on a Mazda site:

Oil consumption can be an effect of a PLUG not firing too! That is to say the MISFIRE, doesn't expand the piston rings to seat them and can lead to a single hole moving oil.
Do you buy it?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM
tdidog
Professional

Originally Posted by tdidog
Just saw this on a Mazda site:

Oil consumption can be an effect of a PLUG not firing too! That is to say the MISFIRE, doesn't expand the piston rings to seat them and can lead to a single hole moving oil.
Do you buy it?
Well, that may be for some, but this thing still does the same thing even with new Champions. Let it idle for a few minutes and when you take off you get a plume of oil smoke.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
tdidog
Professional

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Just accumulates more at idle, higher vacuum and whatnot. Remember the 3.0L in the late '80's - early '90's when they would drop the valve guide and the seals would fall off. You could see those smoke going down the road.
I missed this post earlier.

Tizzy, are you saying that we likely have stem seals leaking? If I pull the front valve cover will I be able to see the seals through the springs and do they typically fall apart? You also mentioned dropping the valve guides on earlier engines. Does that mean they fall out, or just slip down enough that the seal falls off?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must of missed my earlier, earlier post. My money is that A. - you have worn valve seals, and no, you can't verify visually. And B - most likely you have a tapered cylinder bore which will cause the piston ring gaps to line up causing oil to be sucked though. Nothing a valve job and short block won't cure!! You can have a cylinder leak down test done, let you know how the rings are anyway.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM
tdidog
Professional

Sorry, I must have missed it. I talked to the boss this morning and we'll get a leak down tester. I should have one anyway.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:27 PM
jz57

Not sure what brand name O2 sensors you installed on your customer's van. Replace the O2 sensor with OEM Mopar ones, the code must go away.

It happens all the time like your situation, new aftermarket O2 sensor trigger Check Engine light

Originally Posted by ajcasper
Hi folks, I'm a mechanic that is banging my head against a wall with two 2006 minivans. Both with 3.8L one a Grand Caravan and the other a Town and County. Replaced Catalytic Converter on both and replaced both (upstream and downstream) O2 sensors with NGK O2 sensors on both vans. I'm stumped with this one. Code comes back on both vans all the time. So much so that the Grand Caravan has the code set on the scanner but check engine light has become randomly on and off.

Anyone else out there seen this with the 06? or at all? I have no idea what to do on these and the dealer is being no help at all.

Thank you in advance,
ajcasper

Quick Reply: P0420 after replacing Cat and both O2