Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 DGC No Heat or air in front.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Robert Gallardo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 DGC No Heat or air in front.

Hi I'm new here and this is my first minivan I bought a used 1996 DGC and it's great except for one major problem. I have zero heat in my van.

The entire hvac system seems totally unresponsive except the in the rear of the van if I turn the fan speed switch up front it will blow cold air. I have zero heat control front or rear and no control over vents or heat nothing

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Highlighted in red Is the stuff that works. the raidio works as well, but not what I care about. The recirculating air button blinks orange once and then goes back off. I have not tried the AC button.

the heat sliders seem to do nothing as well as the main fan speed **** and the vent selection **** all do nothing at all.

I have seen the post about repairing this the 40 amp fuse is fine. Just wondering before I tear into this.

If you know whats going on or have had this issue please help it's freaking cold here and my defroster isn't working making it dangerous plus colder because I have to drive with the window down

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(1) make sure the coolant is full

(2) At the top of the caravan section is a DIY sticky, in there is the self test proceedure for your control head. Run the self test and see if there are any codes. Then keep going with the test and check the temperature sliders and the mode ****. Control heads are known to fail on these.

Last edited by Tizzy1; 01-23-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the test. Your rear blower is working because it works independent of the microprocessor in the control panel. You can't control the rear temperature becuase that is dependent on the processor via the drivers side temperature control slide switch.

If the test shows the panel is dead, inspect the connections at the panel. They have had a history of melting creating all kinds of electrical problems, not just HVAC related.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Robert Gallardo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I ran the tests.

CALIBRATION/DIAGNOSTICS TEST

came back normal

COOLDOWN TEST

Came back with no lights.

AC button works and comes on.

After running tests was able to get heat to pump out of the rear vents in the van, however still no heat or cold or fan activation in the front of the van.

Could not get the other tests to run at all seemed to have no response

Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When calibration is complete, the rear wiper button should be flashing one time. This indicates you are in test level one. If there are any codes they would flash on the intermittent led. By pressing the wash button you will cycle to the next test level. The wipe led should be flashing twice and then pause, twice then a pause. Level 2 tests the mode ****. When in panel, the intermittent led should flash fast and should flash slower as you move it toward defrost. Pressing wash again should move you to level 3. level 3 is the passenger heat slider. The intermittent led should flash slow on cold and faster as you move to hot. level 4 flashes the intermittent led to read the evaperator temperature. Level 5 is the drivers side heat slider, same as passenger, flashes slow for cold and fast for hot. The sliders are what usually go bad so they always flash slow.

Quick Reply: 1996 DGC No Heat or air in front.