Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 Grand Caravan Sport Bad PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:29 PM
87Fiero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Grand Caravan Sport Bad PCM?

My wife just bought a 01 GV Sport about 3 weeks ago.
Last Sat it started acting funny and gave a CEL, I had a local parts store pull the code[s] and got a p0206 open circuit on Inj on Cly 6.
system was running rough[it felt like we were towing a boat w/o the trailer, and would try to stall out.
So went and bought the Injector and had a local Mech friend install it for us.
after it was installed and I took it for a test drive it was WORSE, 3/4-full throttle still took about 9-11 sec to get to about 15mph, felt like timing was way off and almost like it was COMPLETELY out of balance. ran back over real fast[slowly limping] to the auto parts store they pulled again and got five new codes.
p0181,p07e5[YES "E"],U2552,p600,p005D. after pulling the codes it would not start, we had to manually adjust the TB to get it to start, after a couple minutes of rough idle you could smell it was RICH[Richer then i have every smelt a car run] cleared codes and then got P0508 and P206.

so re-cap

Van had issues with idle out of no where tries to die get code P0206 Open Inj on cly 6.

Replaced defective[supposedly] inj, made it worse got codes
P0181 -Fuel Tmp Sensor Mal
P07E5 - Yes "E" -Does not exist
U2552 - Code Does not Exist
P0600 - Can Serail Com Link issue
P005D - B camshaft profile control stuck on bank 2

cleared and got
P0508 -Idle air control system
P0206 - Inj Circuit open on Cly 6

even the smoke is off[grey like a bad head or starting your car on a super cold day] and you can smell the gas, had a RV Tech buddie come over and he used a tube/Stethoscope method and said it sounded to him like Inj on cly 2 was wide open and spraying like a Indy car. After checking the one and smell of gas so strong the Transformer right above us on the utility pull blew a pass through line and he called it quits and said I needed a priest(meant some what ingest but acknowledge that the machine is severally messed up).

also as a side note the gas gauge moved down 1 1/2 hash marks in the 3-1/2 mile trip from house to store and back.

My thoughts are possession or bad PCM.
I figured I would as a community better informed then me as to you thoughts on the issue.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to determine if the injector is receiving the command from the PCM to open. With the engine running hold a screw driver tip on the injector and hold the handle tip to your ear. Should hear a regular click, click. Another way? Connect a test light to the injector connector. It should blink as the engine rotates. No command indication? Check continuity of the wires from the injector to the PCM using an multimeter. No PCM command and wires check good? Change the PCM. $300 at Autozone. Oh and grab some wholly water.

Errant codes popping up during troubleshooting aren't unusual. The common code throughout has been the P0206.

There has been a flood of threads on several forums concerning 4th generation vans and a wire bundle near the exhaust manifold on the engine melting causing injector codes and rough running. Here's one: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...wn-and-Country

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0206

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-27-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 01 Grand Caravan Sport Bad PCM?