Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

03 Caravan 3.3L Flex Replacing intake gasket can rod bearings/valves be done?help plz

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
jason728
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 03 Caravan 3.3L Flex Replacing intake gasket can rod bearings/valves be done?help plz

Its a 2003 Caravan SE 3.3L FLEX motor, having intake mainfold gasket replaced, what else can i replace while they are in there? Can the rod bearings be replaced through the oil pan on the engine? Can I replace the lifters and rockers and rods and anything valve related or at least tighten rockers or valves? How difficult is it on this engine? any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated I love this vehicle the engine is old but no bearing sound or anything only little timing noise which in Spring will being replaced-
I was a toyota man now a Dodge man- 210k on original transmission no rebuild, was leaking out of pan gasket its whole life before I got it I put 15k on it myself fluid is still beautiful

Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rod bearings are usually replaced by removing the piston and rod assembly from the engine. I suppose you could try and cheat them in from below. Lifters are also removed with the heads off. Rockers can be replaced by just removing the valve cover.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 AM
mbrahmer
Rookie

With 210 on the clock, I'd say the rings and valves need more attention than the bearings. Pull the heads and push the pistons out the top and replace the piston rings after thoroughly cleaning the pistons. Take the heads to a machine shop and have the heads done. You can then replace the rod bearings as you install the pistons.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 AM
jason728

it burns absolutely no oil even with my bad intake gasket (sorry Im a novice completely)- the heads are great Im so worried about the rod bearings thats what everyone says takes these motors out quick.

can I cheat the rod bearings out through the oil pan on this motor what does everyone think please help? and what about valves and rockers how much of that can i replace? can i replace the valve stem seals without pulling the heads on this motor? and what about the push-rods?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
rukachu80

I have about 280k on a '95 model 3.3L. Did the rod bearings about 4 months, took about 45 mins total (with kids 'helping'). It is possible to do on the bottom through the oil pan. HOWEVER!!!! If you do it yourself, make sure you torque the caps back to the factory specs!!!
Everything else you are inquiring about is easy enough to do on top, without even removing the heads.
Again, just make sure you are torquing all the internal stuff to factory specs.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
jason728

wow thanks you so much rukachu80 that is great! makes me very happy to hear that so can I replace rockers and lifters and valves too without pulling heads?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Montreal300
Professional

For valves you will have to pull the heads.
As a bare minimum I would replace the timing chain at your mileage.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
jason728

alright thanks guys yea Im replacing the chain in couple more months, i love rockauto.com their prices are unbelieveable with all the best brands i can afford to do all this $60 for control arms- Dorman and thats including shipping thats nice

Quick Reply: 03 Caravan 3.3L Flex Replacing intake gasket can rod bearings/valves be done?help plz