Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 PM
RonMc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator

I need to replace the lock actuator on the driver's side front door of my 2008 Grand Caravan. I have taken the door panel off (a bit if a chore to get that off), and now I see a large plastic plate.

I am assuming that I need to remove the plate to get at the actuator. Is this correct, or is there some other way to get at it? It seems like I would have to remove the glass to take this off and I would really like to avoid this.

I have attached a low-res photo of the door frame plate.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator-img_4842-low.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you have to remove the glass, and tape it onto the top of the window with masking tape.
you can access the 2 clips holding the glass by the acess hole on the left, and the right by removing the speaker.
loosing all 3 torx screw holding the door latch on the outside, and unclip the rod between the latch and outside door handle.

you door latch will come out WITH the whole plate. you just have to wiggle the plate out with the window regulator all together.

if you wonder why they changed to this Painful design, once you removed it, you can tell this design is for ease of assmbly process in the factory.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
RonMc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mission Complete - 2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator

Thanks for the pointers -- got the latch replaced and the door back together. The best part it -- it works! I held the window up with a C-clamp rather than masking tape -- worked fine.

The cost for a replacement latch assembly from the dealer here in Vancouver, Canada was $85 plus taxes. I spent probably 3 ~ 4 hours total, but I'm sure it could be done in half that time by someone that knew what they were doing.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator-latch-assembly.jpg   2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator-latch-assembly-and-frame.jpg   2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator-window-with-clamp.jpg   2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator-window-clip.jpg   2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator-window-clip-wide.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan Lock Actuator