Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Cruise control warranted behavior

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control warranted behavior

As I mentioned in another post a few minutes ago that was targeted more towards my extended warranty, the cruise control on our 2006 GC SXT is flaky. I use as a reference the 2003 GC Sport we had since it was new, and whose cruise control performed very well. The 2006 owner's manual says
Tapping the “RESUME/ACCEL” button once will result in a 2 mph speed increase.
This was the behavior with our 2003 GC, but not the 2006. The 2006 accelerates between 4 & 6 mph. It may actually accelerate more than that, but I cut it off before getting into trouble with radar. Also, it can't seem to maintain a consistent speed; it will vacillate up & down even on flat stretches of freeway. Whereas I was able to set the cruise on the 2003 at Michigan's implied speed limit (9 mph over posted speed), I now have to set it a bit lower on the 2006 to ensure the cruise doesn't vacillate over into the "ticket" zone.

My questions: Since the owner's manual is very specific that a tap on the “RESUME/ACCEL” button once will result in a 2 mph speed increase, does anyone know whether I will have to fight Chrysler to honor a warranty claim on this? The warranty contract lists the Cruise Control Servo as a covered item, but there's nothing I can see that mentions "tolerances". The very beginning of the contract says I'm covered "should a component covered by the Plan fail in normal use". (Bold on "fail" is my emphasis.) Would the behavior of the cruise control be considered a failure?

Another question: Does the current behavior as I've described above necessarily indicate imminent failure?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say you probably have a problem and that it's not the servo. The servo just does what it's told. Maybe it's not reading the speed correctly. Maybe a hole in the vacuum line.

Quick Reply: Cruise control warranted behavior