Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Trying to find problems as 100k miles & end of service contract coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find problems as 100k miles & end of service contract coming soon

When we bought our 2006 GC SXT back in September, the previous owner had an extended warranty (from Chrysler; "8/100 CERTIFIED MAXIMUM CARE") to 100k miles that I was able to transfer for $50. The van now has 95k miles on it, and I'm creating a list of things to get fixed so I can get them all done at once. (I pay a $100 deductible per visit, not per number of things that need fixing.) The warranty is very extensive, essentially covers anything mechanical, with few exceptions. (PDF available upon request!)

So far, I've identified that the cruise control is flaky, the rear defrost doesn't work on half of the window, and the passenger side mirror motor "froze" on one very cold day several weeks ago and I was unable to use the power RC rocker switch to move it.

So, I would like to query the group here to ask whether there are things I can check that we don't necessarily notice while we're driving the car. If there's something marginal under the hood that will cause failure of some sort sooner rather than later, I'd rather it be covered under the warranty. I'm wondering whether it would be worth my while to take it to my independent mechanic and pay him to do a basic mechanical inspection.

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be the nay-sayer, but if some particular component hasn't already failed on you now, my experience with warranty is that it won't be replaced on the outside chance that it's going to fail in the next 5000. The only way around that is to have a great relationship with a particular dealership that wants to do the repair and is willing to fudge the claim that they submit to Chrysler in order to get paid.

As for a mechanical inspection, I'd be more inclined to do that inspection at the dealership and see what they come back with. And if something craters on you after the warranty expires, you might be able to get some goodwill at a later date based on what was inspected now. I am also aware of your cruise control post as well.... you'll have to ask the dealership if you want to know whether the warranty will cover it, but i'd expect they will likely say no. Having said that, you don't know until you ask or take it in.

Last edited by maxbaby; 02-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:15 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its not broken or they can't replicate the problem they will not pay to fix it.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the dealer.

Quick Reply: Trying to find problems as 100k miles & end of service contract coming soon