Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1995 Caravan 2.5L- Radiator fan relay location

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Dskalish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Caravan 2.5L- Radiator fan relay location

Been reading many threads on this elusive relay. This is not of the solid state type apparently. I purchased a relay since the fan runs continuously (provided the key is on or the engine is running). This relay has a small bracket, with rubber grommet and plastic push pin type fastener. Square standard relay package. I know of the High-Low-ground relays in the box in front of the strut tower. Moving those around did not see a change in the problem. So this relay is likely the culprit...I just can't find it. (provided it exisits) Any ideas? .

I recently put a new head on the engine, among other improvements. Really runs nice. Ready for another 100K miles.

Any assistance is appreciated. many thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a radiator fan low speed relay and a radiator fan high speed relay both located in the power distribution center. The low speed relay is located next to the ASD relay and the high speed is next to the a/c clutch relay.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Dskalish

Thanks. I did try swapping out those relays, and the same effect remains. I believe it runs continuously on low speed. I changed the AC pressure transducer. when unplugging that, the fan stops. So I can rule that out now. Some reports show that a fan relay lives outside the power distribution center. But at first glance, I am not seeing it. If that is the case, my only direction is to look at the PCM commands, or perhaps a ground that shouldn't be present. (one of the relays switches to ground)

Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

There is a third relay, it is the high speed fan ground relay. It is also in the PDC with the other relays.

Where is the pressure transducer located?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Dskalish

The pressure transducer is to the left of the radiator, on the high pressure liquid line of the AC system, right in front of the compressor. It is a fitting on one side that threads into the line. Then the electrical connection on the other end. When pulling the connection, the fan shuts off. It is intended to cycle the compressor off and on with the pressure variation, and presumably a signal is sent to the PCM

Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

It is also used to turn on the fan when the high side pressure reaches a certain level. I just didn't think they started using them until '96. They don't show a pressure transducer in the '95 service manual.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Dskalish

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
It is also used to turn on the fan when the high side pressure reaches a certain level. I just didn't think they started using them until '96. They don't show a pressure transducer in the '95 service manual.
I'll likely leave the fan issue alone for now. I had a devil of a time getting the air out of the cooling system, and first thought the fan running from cold, might have something do with the thermostat not opening after the car warmed up. Now that is resolved, and I am not so sure there is a cooling sensor issue not talking properly to the PCM. At least when it comes to the fan running continuously.

Any possibility a depleted AC system might create this? It may be time to replace the SECOND evaporator in this vehicle. Two in 15 years I guess isn't too shabby.

Quick Reply: 1995 Caravan 2.5L- Radiator fan relay location