Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 02 sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 PM
waynes91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 02 sensor removal

ok want to thank the engineer for where they mounted the fwd 02 sensor, sure it was a big laugh around the water coolerso with that out of the way, i did various searches for the best way to get to this lil sucker, i was able to get to it from underneath, the crows foot 02 tool from azone would work, but no way of getting a breaker bar on it.seems the only thing i read was using a flex head ratchet, ok that might do it not sure,someone said remove the wiper motor? im not sure if u can get it from the top? not sure if removing the alt and brackets you can get to it? cant find no step by step way of doing it, also to ill put the thing on ramps maybe get some more working room. at 6-3 not much wiggle room under there . has anyone here had the joys of doing this repair . any input would be helpful. i can only work on the van on weekends do to the daughters schedule tia...

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
waynes91

i went up to the sticky section diy about 5 pages in shows removal of the wiper cowl,with that removed (for spark plug access) shows the o2 sensor right out there, but it looks like that was for a 06, is the 96 the same in construction?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is basically the same, the '96 has a few more retainers that the '06. The cowl cover has retaining nuts in the front and the wiper module has 6 bolts instead of 4. Otherwise pretty much the same. Not sure you'll want to go that route as you get a much better view of the rear exhaust on the '01 - '07 models. The '96 - '00 vans have the plenum going toward the rear and it really blocks the view. The service manual has you remove it from underneith, I do use a flex head ratchet.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
waynes91

thanks again.. ill try the ratchet 1st didnt even think of that till i read it, back up is to remove the cowl , ill post the results, minus all the swearing lol maybe next weekend weather pending

Quick Reply: 96 02 sensor removal