Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM
b1pig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't say that the 3.6 is better for towing... but.... i think its a better engine. i have the 3.8 in my Jeep. having owned a '98 grand cherokee with a 4.0, the 3.8 is pathetic, and the transmission (auto) doesn't help matters.

the 2011 Journey we traded for the van also had the 3.6, and i REALLY liked it. there are a few build problems plaguing some jeeps, but beyond that, i haven't heard anything really negative about them.

the only thing that bothers me, is why the journey had trans temp in the EVIC, but the caravan does not. i would really like to have that... particularly for towing. i'd echo a similar thought to what steak59 said about how a cooler should not affect a warranty. the problem lies in the perception of the warranty. while i have not had any trouble with a modification during the warranty period on my jeep, i know that many others did. and its been posted all over the web. the sad part is that we little guys often get run over by the big guys.

if the dealership will install it for you, then they should honor any warranty issue that comes up without issue.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:05 PM
jstplncrz
Default Up grade my 2008 4.0L for towing

You guys seem to know what the towing with the Caravan entails. I'm planning on buying an 18-20 foot travel trailer w/ all the bells and whistles and the weight comes in at around 3800Lbs. My neighbor is towing one with a Nissan XTerra 4.0L with the towing pkg. and says he hasn't had any problems (took it across country and back). My Caravan didn't come with the towing package and I would like to add whatever is necessary to tow a trailer of this size. I see radiators listed that say they have the towing pkg. trans. cooler included, is this what I need? And what else would help. Thanks in advance, KM

Old 09-11-2018, 02:09 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jstplncrz
You guys seem to know what the towing with the Caravan entails. I'm planning on buying an 18-20 foot travel trailer w/ all the bells and whistles and the weight comes in at around 3800Lbs. My neighbor is towing one with a Nissan XTerra 4.0L with the towing pkg. and says he hasn't had any problems (took it across country and back). My Caravan didn't come with the towing package and I would like to add whatever is necessary to tow a trailer of this size. I see radiators listed that say they have the towing pkg. trans. cooler included, is this what I need? And what else would help. Thanks in advance, KM
What year is your Caravan? What engine? Do you know the max tow rating?

Old 09-11-2018, 04:01 PM
jstplncrz
Default Grand Caravan Tow Pkg. Upgrades

It's a 2008 4.0 liter V-6, max towing weight as it sits (w/o the tow package) is 1800 lbs. But I would like to know what I would need to add to make it as close as possible to the factory installed tow package. Such as the heavy duty tranny cooler, fan and radiator, and brake rotor size options, if any. With the tow package installed the towing weight goes up to 3800 lbs.

Quick Reply: towing