Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Crud under valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
map79z28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crud under valve covers

I went to change the valve cover gaskets on my 97 grand caravan, 3.3L with 241k miles. On the firewall side of the engine, there was alot of crud crap in the valve cover and in the valve head area. This is also the side that the pcv valve is located. The other side of the engine was relatively clean - pristine compared to the firewall side. What would cause this? and should I clean it up or what should I do to get the firewall side to look like the other side? All replies greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
papaduck
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You apparently do not have a good oil flow to the rear side of the engine. A good oil flow would not allow the crud to build up. I would clean it up as much as you can and not allow any of the crud to get into the lower part of the engine. After you clean it up I would run it for a short time and then change the oil and the filter.

This is only a suggestion and may not be the best way to check this out but I would run the engine for a short time with out the rocker covers to watch the oil flow. You will need to cover the engine parts exposed and the body of the van to keep the oil from getting on them.

Quick Reply: Crud under valve covers