Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 AM
GrumpyJim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?

BTW, is there anybody on the forum that would be willing to allow me to e-mail my pics to them and post them for me? I'm still having difficulty with that. I know, I know......
I'd be happy to help you out -- one minivan owner to another. Decipher this: Grump at GrumpsPlace dot com

I am getting a new cat back system installed Friday. Two and a quarter inch pipe and a MagnaFlow muffler with a nice looking oval chrome tip. The pro suggested a resonator too, but I will consider that only after hearing it before and after. Here are pics of the stock setup on my 2001 Town & Country:

Click any image for a larger view.

I hope to post pictures of the new system tomorrow night.

R'gards,

Grump

Old 03-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Dodge Balls

Hey Grumpy Jim! Awesome news about the new exhaust system. I'm very interested in knowing how it all turns out. The pics you posted so far are very familiar to me. Looks just my stock exhaust system. Great pics for the before comparisons. Post the pics of the new system when you get the chance. I'll work on sending you the pics of my intake mod. Appreciate the offer to post them.[8D]

Old 03-07-2006, 03:58 AM
GrumpyJim

Hey DB, it's been a very long day for me, so I will post the pics tomorrow. The system looks and performs great, you'll like it. Had to go back to Reno today to have the trailer hitch installed and, wouldn't you know it, the tail pipe and tip of the new exhaust had to be cut off and re-routed over the framework of the hitch. Anyway, look for the pictures tomorrow sometime, I'm too tired tonight. Send me those pics of your intake mod and I'll set them up for you to post too.

Grump

Old 03-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Dodge Balls

When you get around to posting those pics of your new exhaust system, don't forget to tell us your thoughts on the difference in how the rig drives. Better performance? Cool sound? Gas mileage? What would you do differently the next time? What were you glad that you had done this time? For example, did you have them install a resonator? Or, did you wait? Happy with your decision?

[8D]

Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 PM
ASH
Veteran

Dodge ***** - Thanks for posting the info on the intake setup, nice description. I was able to view your pictures by copying the link and pasting into the browser address bar. I might have to give that setup a try, especially if it increases gas mileage. The heat shield was a good idea. I've been posting data in the Ram 2nd generation section where I'm measuring the air temperature inside my filter box while moving the intake to different locations. You'd be surprised how much hotter the air in the filter box is when you are drawing the air from around the engine/manifold, up to 50 degrees warmer when running down the road. You might want to add some insulation wrap to the shield to keep even more heat away from the intake.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:05 PM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

I'm custom-building a CAI setup like rayzian's 3.3L on my 99 Grand Voyager with the 3.3L. It'll have a straight pipe coming off of the throttle body with a slight kink to make it all fit and a 90 degree downward bend with a K&N cone filter near where the current airbox is. The scoop that fed air into the filter box will stay to provide more air to the filter. I'll post pics when I finish the job.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:40 PM
NEONTHIS

well here are picks of the intake and exaust and new headlights

Old 03-20-2006, 01:11 AM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

Nice fart cannon.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:13 AM
dropt_98_dakota

here is a pic of the intake that I made for my wifes 01 caravan 3.3, it also has a flowmaster 40 with 2.5" pipe back, no resonator, and a chrome oval exhaust tip

[IMG]local://upfiles/32108/708E6124F51E42A7AA918A587FA90287.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Dodge Balls

Hey Neonthis....

Nice pics. Nice intake. Did you notice a dofference? Did you do the exhaust mod first (before the intake mod)? Second (after the intake mod)? At the same time (on the same day)? How's your performance? Gas mileage? How much of your exhaust sytem did you replace or change? Be careful.... the muffler that you put on looks really close to the bottom of the plastic bumper cover. Is the heat melting or warping the plastic?

I have way too much going on to mess with another mod on the wife's van right now, but I'll check in from time to time. I sefinitely want to mod the exhaust. I haven't settled on a final plan as to how big of pipes or whether or not to use both a resonator and a Magnaflow muffler or just one. I'm still debating between 2.5", 2.75" or 3 inch piping from the catalytic converter back. If I were to use 3" pipes, I probably would do a resonator and Magnaflow muffler to suprress some of the noise.

Anybody else out there ever put 3 inch pipes on their van?

Keep modding![8D]

Quick Reply: Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?