Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 AM
GrumpyJim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?

Three inch pipes would be too big. The stock diameter is 2 1/4". If you go over 2 1/2", you risk losing torque. You would be hard pressed to find any 2 3/4" pipe. A resonator is also not necessary. I put only a MagnaFlow on and it is not too loud. A resonator would have restricted the exhaust flow and not improved the power as much.

Grump

Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 PM
neon_rt

I changed out the muffler on my '00 GC (while my wife was away for a few days) with a oval glass pack.
I left the resonator in place so it wouldn't be too loud. It has a nice growl when you start it and idles with only slightly more noise.
It seems to only be noticeable on the inside when you are at an idle and just above an idle (when taking off) otherwise you can't tell.
Now I have a problem, my wife is back and called me at work and says something is wrong with her van, it makes a growling sound when she takes off and wants it fixed.

BTW is does feel more powerfull and it raised it's WOT shift point to 5000 from 4700 (3.8l engine). So apparently the computer is seeing more power in the upper RPMS and is adjusting the shift accordingly.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:59 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

i like my moms 03 GC, with the 3.8 ( 232 cid ) , but i would never do any "performance" mods.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:47 AM
webbee
Professional

Nice mods of the air intake, guys! I think Ash is on to something with an insulation wrap, but I would say wrap the intake pipe directly. I wonder if that foil wrapped foam insulation pipe wrap would hold up in this location?. On the subject of the exhaust, has anyone done dual exhaust on this platform? I too am interested in getting better gas mileage while improving performance. Another mod I read about on these forums was to machine a 3.8 TB to fit the 3.3. Now if you keep your foot off of it, and drive for mileage, I wonder what the approximate increase in mpg is? I love these hands on, make 'em yurself, mods! Good job to all who posted their mods and don't stop now!

Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 AM
minivanin
Professional

stock intake on the '96-'00 is cold air, it gets air from the front bumper area, my old & any other peoples short rams just suck 200degree air off the radiator & exhaust manifolds

so i have a stock replacement airhog & a removed silencer, pulls hards sounds good

exhaust is a 2.5 ultra flow round muffler into my stock orignal resonator off of my '94 (it was too much droning for her)

here some pics before the resonator (sorry ain't got none with the res.), note that when i put the resonator on, i removed that funky little kink, & it straight out, no bends
plus i had a '05 shorty exhaust that i cut up & used the hangers & clamp off of, so i can always put the original exhaust back on without hassle

heres me welding it

middle shot

rear shot (wire was for positioning)

outside shot

& just a kool shot

Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

The cheap K&N cone filter rip offs are terrible, asp the ones from APC- I would never buy one again if it were less than $5.

My APC cone airfilter lasted a year, I reoiled it every 3 months but still the cotton element was full of large holes, the chrome top on it rusted, and it looks like it was put together by a 5 year old in a sweat shop. K&Ns are more expensive for a reason

The drop in K&Ns are the same as an OEM airfilter, the gain in doing a cold air intake is from using a cone airfilter which is less restrictive.

I run a 3" highflow exhaust system on my 3.3, using a 55" long glasspack out of a sidepipes kit (welded to a 3" high flow cat).

Sound clip here:
http://www.geocities.com/evilshelbyd...newexhaust.mp3

Note that if you plan on using the 58mm TB, that is a "downgrade" unless you bore the intake to take advantage of it and put on a larger exhaust system.

When I get a seat of heads and cam to do at the same time, I have this waiting to go in:

Not shown- 58mm TB, note how the TB neck is ported to hell

Old 04-20-2006, 04:35 AM
minivanin
Professional

ewww, the new intake, kills top end!

i serously blame the intake on my moms '00 for lack of top end

my '94 friggin' hauls all the way to redline, thats why i won't go to that intake, i might even swap an old one on moms, one day...

-greg

Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

Actually I have talked to several 1st gen 3.3 owners who would claim otherwise who have done this mod.

I would not be surprised if its a downgrade if you dont have the intake and exhaust system to back it up.

58mm TB is the same way, dyno tests shows you lose a hp but if you open up the intake and exhaust gives a pretty decent kick out of the combination.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
minivanin
Professional

i just need to see dyno comparisons on one engine let it be lightly modified or not, I wanna see the numbers, moms just doesn't have any real guts to hers, tho it might be due to lack of tune up....shh! I'm saving up to her them E3 plugs
, but its always was crap compared to my van even when mine was stock

unless i see a dyno proving that the is torque & power to be gained everywhere, i will not go to a newer intake

btw-i forgot to write, i like the the paint job on yer intake

-greg

Old 05-26-2006, 01:52 PM
xmax1
Rookie

I've read all the info you guys have offered, and looks to work great. However, I do have a question. In the pics above, the OEM setup is the exact way in my 1990 Grand Caravan (3.3L). My queston is........does thismod affect the cooling of the SBEC computer at all. The factory air intake set-up pulles cooler air across the computer innards (notice how the tube connects to the computer). Have any of you noticed and damage to the puter from possible over heating? I know ......for every action, there's a re-action and for every mod made there's a sacrafice.
ORIGINAL: rayzian

Hi. I have a '93 Grand Voyager SE with a 3.3L V6 and I've made a custom CAI for it. It's very simple, easy and cheap.

I just used 2" ABS tubing (one large piece cut in two, and one 90 degree bend) and 4 2" flex rubber mouldings.

The tube was $11, the 4 flex rubber mouldings $28 ($7 each) and a Tuned cone filter $34. Everything else is pretty much self explanatory, although you have a 99 so I can't guarantee anything. I know that you'd need to remove the air silencer (resonator box) and the airbox and you could effectively have the same setup as mine and have it go to where the original airbox is, you'd probably have to do some expirementing.

For more ideas, you can check this out:

http://www.allpar.com/model/m/air-intake.html

As for bigger piping and muffler, it's been done! Tried tested and true, bigger piping and an easier flowing muffler can only benefit you. Combined with a CAI, you should see some nice power gains.

Quick Reply: Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?