Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:46 PM
LN323
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?

Hey hey!!! I am glad to have been able to stumble upon this thread that I started so long ago.

I have since changed my user ID from Dodge ***** to LN323 (because I couldn't seem to
get bak onto the forum under that old name). Anyway, it was great reading all the additional
posts since the last time I saw this thread.

I have since changed my intake set-up and I am very happy with it. I will try to get some pics soon.

Believe it or not, I still haven't modded my stock exhaust system. I can't believe that I still have
the original exhaust (I have a '99 GC).

I do plan on going with a 2.5" diameter exhaust system from the CAT. I'll let you guys know what I think.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:20 PM
LN323

Okay, I'm a little embarrased about all the baking soda residue after trying to clean off the battery terminal last week, but oh well. It's dark, cold and raining hard right now so crinsing the rest of the powder off is going to have to wait. LOL

Anyway, here's a quick snapshot of the second attempt at modding my intake. I like this one better than the first. I got a dual-filter cone off of ebay (I really lik this one) and a rubber tube section off of a donor car from the local j-yard (I can't remember what car it was, but the diameter of the openings at each were very close so I blew a coupl of bucks on it).

I had to cut one end of the rubber tube shorter as it was actually more "s"-shaped and the second bend didn't work. I left the stock box on underneath the blue filter which the opening actually points up at the bottom of the cone filter thus giving it a source of colder air from outside of the engine compartment (I know some of you will comment on the filter being in side the engine bay! LOL). I also used a stainless steel shield I got off of ebay to protect the filter from too much heat from the engine. I'm not crazy about the filter being inside the engine compartment like that, but I'm "okay" with it. I know, I know.... It would prbably be better for HP if I designed a system where it didn't get ANY warm air from the engine, but I've got too many other things going to worry about something more extravagant at this point.

I am really pleased with the results so far. Very noticeable improvement in throttle response. Better gas mileage (I estimate about 1 - 2 MPG better on long highway trips) as well as better acceleration. It also isn't as noisy as the first mod job that I did. Therefore, my wife doesn't seem to mind this mod yet (she's the reason why I had to go back to stock earlier).

My next mod is going to be the exhaust. I'll keep you guys posted.

[img=http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8660/dscf1784vy7.th.jpg]

Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
LN323

Okay, been real busy (my dad went into the hospital.... my mother-in-law passed away... funeral's a few days away and we're still planning and so on.... work's been crazy too).

Anyway, in the back of my mind I've sort of figured out a plna of attack for my exhaust system upgrade. It involves getting a hold of the flange at the beginning of the downpipe on the way toward the catalytic converter. Anybody got a spare for a '99 Grand Caravan? Let me know!

Larry

Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM
LN323

Latest update! Got my exhaust system altered. Took off the stock muffler and the tail pipe out to the end of the van which was really restrictive (I'm assuming for noise reasons) and had it replaced with 2.25" diameter piping and a Magnaflow muffler. Worked with the shop to position the muffler such that the offset was located in a way that I got rid of two bends from the stock piping after the muffler. Lots of straight piping now!

GC is louder when accelerating, but not bad. Again, I don't have to press as much on the accelerator to keep the van going down the road. I can't wait to see what's going to happen to my gas mileage. Along with my earlier mod of putting on a dual cone filter and shortening up the amount of intake piping.

I'll take some pics later plus give another update when I have more info. I also now have a K&N filter for sale....$10 + shipping. Let me know!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
NEONTHIS

well alot has happent to the van did led tails with hid and also full leather seats and
i just done dual exaust on my van mean sounding magnaflow dual exaust
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=100_4040.flv

Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 AM
LN323

Full leather? Cool. I wish I could install heated leather seats in the front of my GC. I'm going to have to look into this mod. Anyway, I'm getting about the sam mileage around town driving, but I think that's partly because the new tires are large in diameter therefore affecting the math. Had I kept the old tires (and tire size)I think I should have seen the increase in mpg. I am eager to take it out on the open road for a real "highway" test. It'll be interesting to see if I actually get one or two mpg better like I am predicting. Of course I will have to estimate any real changes because I am messing aroudn with bigger tires.

Quick Reply: Bigger exhaust and K&N filter?