Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan 3.8 died need help how to replace cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM
DodgeG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan 3.8 died need help how to replace cam sensor

Hi, Yesterday my minivan 97 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L died at grocery store parking lot. It cranks but wont start. I check the codes thru key dance and found 12 54 and 55.

Later I found out code 54 is for camshaft position sensor. I already got part from autozone and try to remove the old one out but so far no luck.

It looks like badly stuck there. Is there any special procedue or tools I need or just simply take the 10mm bolt out and wiggle it out. Because of very small space to work where it is located, it looks very hard to remove.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you are corrrect, remove bolt and wiggle it out. here is the offical removal and installation proceedure.

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

REMOVAL
  1. Disconnect camshaft position sensor electrical connector from the wiring harness connector Camshaft Position Sensor
  2. Remove bolt holding sensor Camshaft Sensor Bolt Removal/Installation There is a hole in the bracket for tool access to the sensor bolt.
  3. Rotate sensor away from block Camshaft Sensor Removal/Installation
  4. Pull sensor up out of the chain case cover. Do not pull on the sensor lead. There is an O-ring on the sensor case. The O-ring may make removal difficult. A light tap to top of sensor prior to removal may reduce force needed for removal.
INSTALLATION

If the removed sensor is reinstalled, clean off the old spacer on the sensor face. A NEW SPACER must be attached to the face before installation. Inspect O-ring for damage, replace if necessary. If the sensor is being replaced, confirm that the paper spacer is attached to the face and O- ring is positioned in groove of the new sensor Camshaft Position Sensor and Spacer
  1. Apply a couple drops of clean engine oil to the O-ring prior to installation.
  2. Install sensor in the chain case cover and rotate into position.
  3. Push sensor down until contact is made with the camshaft gear. While holding the sensor in this position, install and tighten the retaining bolt 14 N·m (125 in. lbs.) torque.
  4. Connect camshaft position sensor electrical connector to harness connector.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soak it with a penetrant like PB Blaster.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
DodgeG

Thank you Tizzy1 and Cougar41, eventually with you guys help I was able to replace sensor with one from Autozone. Now van starts after few cranks and wont die.
Only issue remains it need 3 times crank to start it, sometimes may be 2. Any clue.
Do I have to get Camshaft sensor from Dealer ?

Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fuel pump bleeding down?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeG
Thank you Tizzy1 and Cougar41, eventually with you guys help I was able to replace sensor with one from Autozone. Now van starts after few cranks and wont die.
Only issue remains it need 3 times crank to start it, sometimes may be 2. Any clue.
Do I have to get Camshaft sensor from Dealer ?
If this hard starting started right after the sensor change then you may need another sensor. Make sure it's connected securely. Did you leave the paper spacer on the tip when you installed it? The spacer establishes the clearance needed between the senor tip and the cam gear ring it reads.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 AM
mbrahmer
Rookie
Default Cam Sensor

I'd say go get a new sensor from the dealer. The aftermarket units do not have strong enough magnets...from Borg Warner tech.

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan 3.8 died need help how to replace cam sensor