Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A/c -- totally stumped!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
wohugh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c -- totally stumped!!!

Hi all!

99 Dodge Caravan 2.4: I've replaced the expansion valve, drier, and condensor in hopes of getting the a/c to blow cold. The vent only gets to 63 degrees. The compressor has good head pressure and is extremely quiet. I do have to jump the relay to keep it running even though freon amount is up to specs. I'm now looking at the high pressure inducer. Also, when I took the old condensor apart in hopes to verify it was clogged - it was perfectly clean and there was no oil in it. Guages are reading 45/275 on a 95 degree day, which is normal. Please help!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 PM
JPSpen

When you replaced all these parts, Did you vacuum the system down?

Kind of sounds like you didn't get the air out of it. If the pressures are correct and you are passing air over the condenser, Then you should be getting cold..
Mixing valve?
With the compressor off is it blowing warm air or neutral air.

Good luck,

John

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are getting 63 degree out of the vent at a 95 degree day, I am going to say it is normal... and does Recirculation work?
and why do you have to jump the relay? there is something else wrong with the system?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Controller ??

Hi , Every thing sounds normal . Your problem is in your dampers under the dash . Check the heater to a.c. isolation dampers or control dampers often get warped with years of use . The controller could be just worn out . Good luck . Lovvorn

Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
wohugh

I vacuumed the system for two hours with a 5 cfm-2 stage pump. Blender doors/dampers work well. And the low side line coming out of the evap is not very cold at all! And I just have to ask here: Is it normal for this vehicle not to have oil in the condensor/drier? The vent air should be in the mid 40s. 63 degrees is way, way to warm.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

depends on humidity but 40's on a 95 degree day isn't a given. And the low side presure should be down in the 20 - 30 psi range. It would be nice to know what temp the evap temp sensor is reading.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
wohugh

Would you all please excuse me, but I wish those who don't know what they're saying - please stop replying to this thread!!! That would mean just about all of you!!!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 AM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Mr. Pls. Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

All that have offered help over the Net- Dodge Forum have given really Great info !!!!!!! Maybe you should try another source of info like the Dodge dealer ! My Thoughts Lovvorn

Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 AM
wohugh

Dear Mr. Professional:

Maybe you should try another profession!!!

Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wohugh
Would you all please excuse me, but I wish those who don't know what they're saying - please stop replying to this thread!!! That would mean just about all of you!!!
Wow. Talk about killing a conversation. Good luck.

Quick Reply: A/c -- totally stumped!!!