Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Fee to Program FOB Key

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
dtp220
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fee to Program FOB Key

This is FYI.
I'd like to share with fob key owners that I just had local Dodge dealer to program my 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan for $54.00 US 3 days ago.
I bought my brand new fob key on Ebay for half the price that dealer offers at $150.00 US.
New key works fine as the original key.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Im sorry to say this but YOU could of done this your self and saved the 54.00. the dealer should of been nice to let you know this. only time u need dealer is if u have only have one key. ive posted this here already a few times. all u need to do to be short is put one key in and turn to the start but dont start it. then put in the second one do the same. then the one u need to program and then start with it. you should of gotten instructions with the ebayer too. i did.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:57 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
Im sorry to say this but YOU could of done this your self and saved the 54.00. the dealer should of been nice to let you know this. only time u need dealer is if u have only have one key. ive posted this here already a few times. all u need to do to be short is put one key in and turn to the start but dont start it. then put in the second one do the same. then the one u need to program and then start with it. you should of gotten instructions with the ebayer too. i did.
That is good info, but I'd say odds are he didn't already have 2 keys.... or he probably wouldn't be buying a new one

Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 AM
mbrahmer
Rookie
Default Key FOB programming

Actually you NEVER need the dealer. Search the web and you will find how to program the RKE module with only a jumper to make the new FOB's work. I did mine both and they work; got the FOBs on eBay for about $16 for 2!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
cpcordell

My friend lost my backup key he was holding for me on a long trip. So, where is this information about using a jumper and programming a new FOB? I have a 2012 Durango with keyless ignition.
I searched the web and did not find it for this type of keyless.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Tooldogg1

I'm looking for the info to program also.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:37 PM
captnbob

Originally Posted by cpcordell
My friend lost my backup key he was holding for me on a long trip. So, where is this information about using a jumper and programming a new FOB? I have a 2012 Durango with keyless ignition.
I searched the web and did not find it for this type of keyless.
I am sure you have probably found the information by now, but I never saw it posted. Let me know if this helps you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6194237_prog...emote-fob.html

Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is for old school remote keyless entry fobs that just lock and unlock the doors. The new key fobiks and keyless go systems either need 2 good keys or the dealer has to program it. Just like the grey headed keys from the skim systems, you cant just jump a wire and program them.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dodge dealer shop I use charged $30 to program me a second '08 and up GC fob (that I supplied), not $54. I found that Chrysler dealerships who have a separate garage for used cars tend be more flexible and do work of this sort for cheaper rates, often discounting their parts. This is especially true if they think they can suck you into their shop for future routine service work. I told them I bought my vehicle recently (true) and it was supplied a 2nd unprogrammed key (sorta untrue) lol...not sure if that affected the pricing. Some big dealerships are unwilling to program owner-supplied keys, but I suspect this not due to greed. They don't want to deal with the hassles when folks provide a poor quality Chinese clone key or incorrect key. They aren't charging for troubleshooting, so they want to program a new key with known origin.

Last edited by Lscman; 09-03-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We charge $25 and will attempt to program any key but you pay weather it works or not. Not our fault you bought a key that doesn't program. Pretty cheap when you realize it isn't a 2 minute job like most people think it is.

Quick Reply: Fee to Program FOB Key