Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Recommended Stop Leak for 2005 SXT Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Commando44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Stop Leak for 2005 SXT Tranny

Hi,

I have a 3.3 Dodge Caravan SXT with 160,000 miles on it. About a year ago, I got a tranny leak from some seal near where it mounts to the engine. Mechanic says it will cost $400-$500 just to get to the seal and change it. I've been checking the fluid and filling as needed but my wife drives the car more often than I and she does not monitor it very well. When it's low, it will have a slight delay moving from a full stop at a light or facing downhill. After the first five minutes its fine. A mechanic told me to put in some stop leak to see if it stops the leak. I'm reluctant to do this since he did not recommend a particular one. Any experts here want to recommend one that will work for a atf+4 tranny?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would not recommend any stop leak. I would recommend to repair the leak.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You put any stop leak into your trans, you just signed the Death Warant for your transmission.
Stop leak is not a repair, is a Bandage solution if your car is ready to go to the junk yard, but you need it running for few more weeks.
I recommend a proper repair if you plan to keep the car longer. If not, then just keep topping it off with regular ATF.

Quick Reply: Recommended Stop Leak for 2005 SXT Tranny