Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan won't shift, no speedo

Old 06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
mwestmstrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan won't shift, no speedo

Hi
My wife's Caravan is having shifting problems. It will go in and out of forward, and reverse, but will not upshift to 2nd and 3rd. The speedo also quit at the same time, and the odometer has stopped also.
I've done some research on this forum, and I've replaced both transmission vehicle speed sensors. I cleaned out the plugs, and I've checked fuses as well. I've disconnected the battery, and reset the big wiring plugs that go into the TCM. I also did a cluster diagnostic, and it seemed ok.
The shift indicator?? ( aka PRNDL) gauge shows boxes around each letter, instead of one box around the proper gear that is selected.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks for your time,

Mark

Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Check the connection at the TRS sensor and check the wires going into the output connector.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
mwestmstrum

Thanks so much for your reply! I've been a member for quite a while, but usually I can find a similiar question/answer to my problems, so I've never had to post before! I've read the forums for a long time.

I'll check the wiring again tonight when we get home, and look for something cut, or loose. I had the battery box out yesterday, and I think I'll take it out again tonight.

I'm not familiar with the TRS,.. is there a test for it? Is it a common item to fail on these vans?? It's connector is the one below the output speed sensor right??

Mark

Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
mwestmstrum

I'm still having trouble with this shifting problem. I checked the continuity from the input and output speed sensors to the big plugs going into the trans computer. I cleaned up the connector at the TRS, and checked the plug and wiring and it seemed ok as well.

I've looked through a ton of previous posts, and the strange thing seems to be the gear shift indicator lights that are all shown with boxes around each letter. When the key is initially turned, the PRNDL letters don't have the box, and then they all light up, and stay lit even if you change the transmission lever into another gear.

Any other ideas??

Thanks,

Mark

Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 AM
mwestmstrum

Got 'er fixed up yesterday, and it only cost 15 cents! When the van started acting up, I went straight to the fuse box, and looked for expired fuses, and bad relays. Well, after going around in circles with this problem, I looked at the fuses again. I found the fuse labeled EATX Batt, ( or something like that... ) and the fuse wasn't blown, but the end of the internal element had lots of oxidation on it. I replaced the fuse, just to see.... and voila! A cheap fix. Thanks to the forum for having so much info to research!

Mark

Old 08-10-2016, 01:52 PM
David Christopher Patrick

Mark after reading your post on the fuse I ran out to check mine and yes low and behold that was the problem..I could kiss you .. after a new TCM and much frustration I was just about to go get a new speed out and input sensor ..crawl under the van to see if a mouse hadn't chewed anything. Living In the Maritimes my TCM was toast so that most likely needed replacement .. dumb *** place to but any electrical box... thanks so much.. here's your kiss.. X

Old 12-06-2018, 02:09 AM
Luke B
Default Thank you!

Years later you are helping people! I showered the net and the van....after hours of frustration, I found your post. Ran out to the van at 2am because I had to see....it was the fuse!! I cancelled my order for a TCM and speed sensors saving me hundreds! Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan won't shift, no speedo