Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

What is causing "whining" sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
fitchjl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is causing "whining" sound?

I have a 2007 Grand Carvan SE, after I drive on the interstate for more than 30 minutes at speeds of 60-70 mph, the engine has a "whine", can anyone tell me what may be causing this whine? Once I get off the interstate and drive at slower speeds it goes away. I don't know if it is something in the engine or is more of a fan belt issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and what was the cause and remedey?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
bigOcrowe

sounds like a vacum leak

Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
06Caravan
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigOcrowe
sounds like a vacum leak
Could be the power steering reservoir filter. Ours was working fine until one particular long trip we went on. As it heated up, and at highway speeds, the whine became very prominent. I checked the PS fluid reservoir and there were bubbles in it.

Once we stopped for lunch and it cooled down it stopped and was OK the rest of the way home. I had the fluid flushed the following week and the filter cleaned. Fixed it right up.

That could be your problem.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
papaduck
Professional

The power steering reservoir filter can be come clogged and the pump cannot get enough fluid and it will cavitate and cause the whine.

The reservoir can be replaced or cleaned. It will need to be removed. Use a turkey baster to empty as much fluid as you can but be careful and do not puncture the filter which is a nylon mesh in the bottom. The two hoses need to be removed and you need several rags to catch some fluid that will drain when the bottom and larger hose is taken off. On my '04 there is a 10mm (IIRC) bolt that must me loosened from the back side underneath the reservoir.

I used carberator cleaner to clean the filter. Make sure it is dry before reinstalling.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
jimbo111@yahoo.com
Rookie

In my car it's usually my girlfriend.

Quick Reply: What is causing "whining" sound?