Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

95 3.3 ltr Caravan shudder

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Al Buttnor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 3.3 ltr Caravan shudder

I have a 95 3.3 litre Caravan Sport with a 4-speed transmission. It develops a side-to-side body shudder between 35-55 miles per hour, the highest amount is at 45. It is horrendous under acceleration or power going up hills. If I am cruising at 45, it isn't noticable. If I take my foot off the gas under acceleration, the shudder goes away. It seems to be the driver side. After 55, it is fine. Below 35, nothing.

I have rebalanced the tires - it wasn't that. I have rotated the tires - it wasn't that. I had worn steering components changed - it wasn't that.

My mechanic isn't sure what it is - there is nothing noticeable from visually looking at the components. He thinks it might be a motor mount but when I put it in gear, hold on the brake, and rev the engine while stationary - no shudder occurs which I would expect to happen under tension.

Could it be tranny related - the transmission works smoothly and it is not losing fluid.

I used to have a Toyota 4-speed manual and I did my own clutch replacement. I hadn't tightened one of the bolts on the housing tightly enough and it had this wild out-of-balance shudder until it was tightened. The shudder in the Dodge feels the same. Something out of balance or bent.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:43 AM
vistal
Amateur

maybe a CV axle is out of balance mine did that and 2 months later shattered.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Al Buttnor

Thanks. It has been going on for a few months.

Quick Reply: 95 3.3 ltr Caravan shudder