Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

tow trailer travel with dodge caravan 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
mf028
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow trailer travel with dodge caravan 2012

I looking for a new trailer travel with a weight shipping of 2800 pounds. Do you thing I can tow a trailer travel of 2800 pounds with a new dodge caravan 2012. The specs in the owner book is 3500 pounds. The specs with 3 to 5 psssenger with lugage is around 3300 pounds.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3500 pounds if you have the trailer tow option.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy a camper over 2000lbs myself. You are leaving no room for reserve capacity and you will likely overload the rear suspension. The rear suspension is the weak link for towing with a Caravan. The "tow package" merely consists of a Tranny cooler, PS cooler and larger rear bumpstops on the rear suspension. It does not include stiffer springs or shocks to handle extra weight. Your van will sag badly with a camper that large.

I tow a 1600lb camper with my 2002. I installed airbags on the rear suspension with an onboard compressor so I ride perfectly level no matter the weight. I also replaced the shocks just in case seeing my van was almost 8 years old at the time of purchasing my camper. This does not mean I can magically hold more weight, it just means my van stays level and drives properly when loaded. If the vehicle sags with the camper then the suspension is overloaded and you are just asking for failure. I'd bet atleast 50% of the vehicles used for towing campers are overloaded and dangerous.

Hell, nearly ANY RV center will sell you anything, even if it is far over the weight limit for your vehicle. They can offer good advice at times, but don't forget they want to sell you a trailer and they make more off larger units so they don't mind selling you "what you want" even if they shouldn't.

Just my $.02.

PS: Make sure you are getting the "wet" weight rating for that camper. Many times they give you a "dry" rating which is without onboard water, batteries and other gear. Plus, always use a 200lbs per passenger rule when figuring weight out. A 2800lb camper leaves you 700lbs cargo/passenger capacity. That means 2 adults and your weekend supplies and even then I bet you are overloaded.

Last edited by b1lk1; 07-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
mf028
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a trailer

I found a small trailer with shipping weight of 2300 pounds. The model is a SunsetParkrv19QB. This trailer is build by Amish in Indiana. They aren't popular but their are just enough for my need is a good option if you don't like to buy pop up trailer.

Quick Reply: tow trailer travel with dodge caravan 2012