Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Grand Caravan Water Pump problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Hooterville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Grand Caravan Water Pump problems.....

Have a 2005 Grand Caravan, 3.3 and for the past few months I've heard a chirping sound coming from under the hood. The radiator and coolant were pretty low so I filled them back up. I'm pretty sure the water pump is leaking as I see some coolant under the van in that area.

I cannot afford to have this fixed until the first of next month and was wondering if keep driving it could it leave me stranded on the side of the road if the pump finally takes a dump?

What happens when the pump finally gives out? Does the water just leak out and the vehicle get hot or can the belt fly off and leave me stranded?

Also the dealer wants $260. plus tax to replace the pump. Is this too much?

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM
grswat
Veteran

That is a difficult question to answer. The pump could continue gradually leaking more and more for a long long time. Or it could lock up whenever it decides. Definately keep an eye on the coolant level and note any change in sound.

According to repairpal.com $260 is not a bad price. Where in the world are you? I am a full time mechanic and would be glad to help you out if you are anywhere near me.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
99Sport33L
Rookie

My water pump broke on my 99 Sport and what happens is you start to overheat, the belt slides off everything, your alternator doesn't run, and your battery will dies down. Fortunately I was about 1.8 miles from my Dodge Dealer, so I nursed it there by driving up to 45 mph, going into neutral, turning off the engine, and coasting to get to the dealer. Repeat engine on / off and coasting until I got to the dealer.

Now, lately, i went to Marino Dodge for a quote on the labor repair of a water p[ump on my 2005 SXT - $356 just for labor! So $260 is a GREAT PRICE for parts and labor!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

part should i imagine be like in the 40-50. mark. if you mechanically inclined it could be someting u can do yourself. although do this at your own risk. i just lost a good friend who had 20 yrs as a mechanic and tried installing a tranny at home and it crushed him. so in this video they said to loosen the motor bracket supports. you can replace it without. just need to pry the engine over a bit to remove the pulley. like i said be carefull. do this at your own risk.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
scotter5
Veteran

i have a 3.8, 06 caravan. i did the job in about 1 and half hours. first time i did a pump in 6 or 7 yrs. i watched the video on youtube how to do it. there is another one besides the above that showed how to do it without any dropping of the engine. that is the way i did it.

so is 260 worth it. they will do it in an hour. the pump cost about 60 bucks for mopar product and 40 bucks at advance auto. 200 bucks sounds like a bunch of money to do the manual work for an hour. i guess the time it gets up on their ramp and down that's another half an hour. if you got the cash. got for it.if not got to a mechanic and get a bit better price.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Default Transmission on 4.0l oil change

opps.. meant open new thread.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Hooterville

Originally Posted by grswat
That is a difficult question to answer. The pump could continue gradually leaking more and more for a long long time. Or it could lock up whenever it decides. Definately keep an eye on the coolant level and note any change in sound.

According to repairpal.com $260 is not a bad price. Where in the world are you? I am a full time mechanic and would be glad to help you out if you are anywhere near me.
Thanks, I'm in Gainesville Florida. I'm mechanically inclined and have changed water pumps on older cars in the past where you can actually see the water pump. I have the tools, floor jack and stands but live out in the woods with only a tiny piece of cement to work on and 2 million mosquito's are here now.

I've seen the video and this just looks like a pain in the butt to do.
I just need to make a 50-60 mile trip and did not want this van to crap out on me.

I might just wait until I have the $$ for the dealer repair. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2005 Grand Caravan Water Pump problems.....