Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Drivers side axle inner cv joint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivers side axle inner cv joint?

I think it is just the axle starting on it's way out, but thought I would check first

the only symptom is a clicking when under load, Only going straight, does not do it when turning, I can get it to reproduce by power braking shifting to drive and tapping the gas, 1-2 clicks,
then I shift to reverse and tap the gas again click

when I was under the van with a stethoscope and wife was shifting, I isolated it to here,(where screw driver is, I had used a stethoscope for listing)

Name:  101_2358.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  105.4 KB

the boot is not turn and there is no evidence of leaks
and if I listen on the diff cover with the bolts in it (right next to the screw driver) I can not hear the clicking
the axle is also tight, no movement

I checked the motor mounts and could not see any cracks, from the top the engine doesn't move too much from the bottom it appears to move a bit more, but I have never been under the car before when revving it either

is it pretty safe that the problem is just the axle? I have read about a diff bearing, hope thats not it

and if it is the axle is it a good idea to replace the other side too?

thanks

Last edited by trophyslayer; 08-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivers side axle inner cv joint?