Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

need help before buying a dodge caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:59 AM
coco-nuts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help before buying a dodge caravan

hello guys, i have a meeting to see a dodge caravan tomorow night, the problem is that i don't know much about this car. Can you tell me the bad things about this car, the spots i need to check before buying (for exemple something of the engine or the drive train). Is there some important issues thats need to be check. i'm kind of repeat myself but i want to be sure you guys understand (i'm french so my english is not so good).

so the model is a dodge grand caravan sport, suppose to be a 3.3l v6 engine of 2003 with 201000 kilometers.
the guys just replaced this:
"Front struts - Both
Front sway bar bushes - both
Sway bar linkages - right hand side
Resealed and regssed the air conditioning
oil changed
"

do you think that the struts and front sway bar are suppose to be changed a 200000km or it is a Ill-treatment from the driver?

One last question is there a manual for maintenance where i can find the operation that need to be done on the engine for the check up ( like for the check up of the 150000km the oil and the filter and stuff needs to change for exemple).

thanks in advance for your help, if i have not been clear, tell me and i try to be clearer.

have a good night.

Last edited by coco-nuts; 08-31-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the parts changed it looks like someone was chasing the all to common front end noises 4th generation vans are plagued with. They can happen at any mileage. Make sure they are gone on the test drive. Not really a safety issue, more an annoyance.

Typical 2003 problem areas are the electrical system especially lighting and the middle power sliding doors. Make sure all are working good. Look at the fuse box in the engine compartment making sure there's no visible evidence of corrosion. It's been the cause of many problems.

Here's a maintenance schedule and access to recalls and TSBs. Just punch in your info: http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html
You'll just have to convert miles to kms.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-31-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:55 AM
grswat
Veteran

Check for rust on the upper strut towers. Transmissions are hit and miss.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 PM
coco-nuts

Thanks for the help guys, lets hope this car is in good shape.

Quick Reply: need help before buying a dodge caravan