Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Dodge Caravan Key Fob STUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
faucey13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Dodge Caravan Key Fob STUCK!

HELP! a couple weeks ago i put my van in park and turned off the ignition and my key fob wont come out. Apparently it looks like the key isnt turning all the way to the off position. It is stopping a smidge before OFF therefore I cant remove the fob. At the point it stops I cant leave it because all the lights and accessories are still powered. Does anybody have any suggestions to fix my problem???
At first it was occassionaly, then i thought by wiggling the shifter a little bit it helped but i think it was my imagination. Nothing i do helps except turning the car all the way back on and praying for a miracle then shutting it off and pulling the fob super fast. I try just turning the key enough to move the shifter down and back into park but that doesent work and franly i am tired of lookinglike an idiot sitting in the parking lot putting on my brake and going through the gears!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think u are going to need a shifter assembly. The sensor inside goes bad sometimes, and ignition think you are NOT in park.
Next time, try put it in Drive -> park ->drive -> park few times, see if key comes out,

Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
faucey13

So When this first happened i was able to move from park to drive a couple times and release but that no longer works.

Several months ago I went to my van in the morning and my shifter had popped apart over night, completely apart we put it back together and all was fine for a couple months...
idk Im about fed up with this darn vehicle already, Im out of warranty and still owe $$ and its costing quite a bit lately.

I called the dealer and just by over the phone talking they are thinking may be a new WIN module is what it needs, idk. I had the detent put in from a recall last year, they dont think that has anything to do with it though.

Last edited by faucey13; 09-05-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Detent has nothing to do with it. It is just a rubber ring. WIN module is a possibility, But speaking from experience, it is more likely to be the shifter.
You need a scanner to know for sure what exactly is wrong.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
faucey13

OK so I have narrowed my problem down to the solenoid or whatever its called. So when i put my car in park and go to turn the key off it only goes to ACC. So if i sit patiently for a few minutes you can hear a click like pressure being released somewhere ( probably not but thats what it sounds like) and when I hear that I can turn the key to OFF and out it comes. Well as the days go by it takes longer and longer. I had to wait 26 minutes for it to "release" this morning. Which totally sucks because I havent figured out how to get the doors locked while they key is in the ignition so I can lock it and come back later to check on it. (hopefully before the battery dies) I have been manually locking the doors and using the valet key thing to get back in but i cant lock the liftgate, and I work in mental health and prefer not to leave any access to my vehicle.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 AM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Put the shifter to "Park"

The key will not come out without force if the shifter is not in "Park" !!!!!!! I know I own a 2010 I bought new !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lovvorn

Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM
faucey13

Originally Posted by lovvorn
The key will not come out without force if the shifter is not in "Park" !!!!!!! I know I own a 2010 I bought new !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lovvorn

The shifter is in park.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM
faucey13

Originally Posted by steak59
Detent has nothing to do with it. It is just a rubber ring. WIN module is a possibility, But speaking from experience, it is more likely to be the shifter.
You need a scanner to know for sure what exactly is wrong.
OK so we may have broke a rule or two. The solenoid was not disengaging, the spring on it wasnt strong enough, so we took the solenoid out and WALA it works fine. But now a day later i have a new problem. Usually when you open the driver door the power shuts off (when the car is shut off) welp not anymore! Looks like im gonna need to carry a battery charger. I feel like this is really pathetic on a still newer vehicle especially one that cost $30, 000 just 2 damn years ago!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

well, if it is door related, even without opening the door, power should shut off after like 3 minute. if you just sit inside after you pull the key out for 5 minute, does Radio and stuff still goes out?
You pulled the solenoid out of the WIN module? Maybe it mess it up, and now the car thinks your key is still In ACCESSORY position?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM
faucey13

Originally Posted by steak59
well, if it is door related, even without opening the door, power should shut off after like 3 minute. if you just sit inside after you pull the key out for 5 minute, does Radio and stuff still goes out?
You pulled the solenoid out of the WIN module? Maybe it mess it up, and now the car thinks your key is still In ACCESSORY position?

Well i have decided to just band aid the situation and when i get wherever im going if the radio doesent turn off when i get out i just manually turn it off. Nothing else is on at the time so eh. Im fed up and dont really care anymore.

Quick Reply: 2010 Dodge Caravan Key Fob STUCK!