Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2002 Grand Caravan Sport Power window regulator and motor replacement ?'s

Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM
cdnjan
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2002 Grand Caravan Sport Power window regulator and motor replacement ?'s

Both my windows are not working so now I must try to fix them. The prices seem all over the place but this looks good? and Dorman is recommended throughout the forum.
I am simply looking for confirmation that Dorman is the way to go? I have read that some replacement parts have very low power and I don't want that, I want it to work well after the tricky process. Plus any good tips are Appreciated.

*I thought I saw a step by step picture post in this forum but now I cannot seem to locate it If anyone knows where that is please post a link. I have seen a few Youtube videos doing the complete process, I see I need lots of patience. The local garage quoted 400 for one door .. So $50 and a lot of luck will make me happy if I can do this.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...partnum=741823

DORMAN Part # 741823 {#4717767AB, 4894537AA, 5135251AA, 5170941AA}
Category: Power Window Motor & Regulator Assembly

- Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business days
$50.79

Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
RickMN
Veteran

Be a sport and buy an alldatadiy.com subscription. It's on sale now for $10/yr. Enter sale code NEWDIY2012. That'll show you door trim removal diagrams and regulator removal diagrams.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head to YouTube. Type in "Dodge Caravan window regulator". You'll find a 2 part video on changing it in a 2002 Caravan

I just installed a Dorman assembly in the driver's door on my van 6 months ago. Works great.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
cappo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can find the video on youtube. I did this on my '03 Caravan and it is not as hard as it sounds. Although after I replaced the drivers side, I disassembled the old motor and found that the brushes needed cleaning. Very easy to take the motor off and clean it if that is the problem.....

Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Thank you everyone. I am working on this with a friend that owns the van. Now I have a little more info. Passenger side is working like 10% of the time (for like 2 years now) so she has decided to just leave it up. So complete regulator/motor assembly is probably required on that side?
As for the driver side when you push switch up or down you can hear the motor But it sounds like it fell off the track and dropped to the bottom. It has since been pulled up and taped. So now I am not sure how to fix that? Did something "pop off" or break?
ANY ADVICE is appreciated, before I buy something that is un-necessary.
Thanks again I will be watching. Heading on a road trip next week so hoping to get them working before then
TIA
Jan

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
cappo
Amateur

What I would suggest since the van is 10 years old is to replace both sides with complete regulator/motor assembly. It is impossible to replace individual components since they are all pressed together and work as a unit. If money is a concern, you could replace just the driver side and disassemble the motor on the passenger side to see if the motor can be serviced. When I did mine, I bought a Dorman unit, but found the motor on the new unit would not fit the regulator already on the car. Replacing the regulator is not difficult, but will take time so replacing both sides would insure you won't have to do it again real soon. Here is what helped me on youtube:

Part 1
Part 2

Hope this helps.....

Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Ok I got the 2 new reg w/motor from rockauto complete with shipping $111
Wish me luck.
THANK YOU! Very much everyone ^5

Old 09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Milkman21218

I just replaced drivers side motor and regulator that I got from Rock auto 3 days ago in a 2004 T&C. And the job really was easy after watching a video on you tube. It was harder to remove the reg than to install. Whole job took less than an hour. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM
cdnjan
Amateur

Well we got the one side done It was "simple" but trickyyy Biggest problem was the 3 rubber nuts holding it on. I borrowed a neighbor and his Brute force strength Not sure I can do that this time. Does anyone know the secret tool to remove these nuts. Thanks for all you help

Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are called "well nuts". I just use a pair of pliers to grab the backside. They usually get trashed. The last two assemblies I've installed came with new nuts anyway. Hope that's true for all new reg assemblies. I've read some trash them and just install regular bolts and nuts. In the past I've bought well nuts at Lowes for less than half the price the dealer wanted for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Grand Caravan Sport Power window regulator and motor replacement ?'s