Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need a Caravan, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
leica
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Caravan, what to look for?

Thought I'd try this forum to get the right advice.

I've owned a '99 Caravan in the past that the in laws owned before me and overall it was a good vehicle. I'm currently looking to get the next generation ('02 to '08?) but I'm not sure if one year may be better than another, certain upgrades or fixed issues etc. I know the transmissions can be touchy and was wondering if it may be better for certain years.

Also any trouble spots to look for? Is relatively high mileage a concern? Most of the vans in my price range run anywhere between 90k to 130k. I want to make sure I get the best van with the least amount of issues possible. I do realize that a used van will need things, but I can handle the usual wear parts like brakes and suspension, I'm more worried about nagging issues with the engine and drivetrain.

Any help is appreciated, hope to be a regular posting member soon.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:46 PM
bdwillie

We had picked up a 2005 Grand Caravan about 4 years ago, with 72,000 miles on it from a used car lot here locally (minivan #3). With the exception of a bad water pump, which was an easy change and cheap on that 3.3 liter, we have put over 80,000 miles in 4 years trouble free. Just our 2 cents worth. no probs so far with the tranny or drivetrain.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of these vans have a stellar history. If I had to say "avoid this van" I'd say the 08s. They are plagued with brake problems to the point they have an extended warranty. Subsequent vans are having similar. They also were the first to use the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). It's a fancy fuse box combining several boxes into one. It's turned into a headache for some to the point they are going back order with a week or more delay. 04s and up use a combination engine and tranny computer in one box. Not the headache the TIPM is but not a major improvement either. All that said, many have no problems.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-12-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Cougar what is the difference between a TIPM and the combination tranny computer you spoke of. I thought the TIPM combined both.

any info. would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TIPM is the fuse box on 5th generation vans. It combined the 4th generation FCM and IPM into one box called the TIPM.

The concept of the combined TCM/PCM (tranny/engine computer) is called the NGC or Next Generation Computer. I guess in an attempt to decrease confusion it is still called the PCM though it has controlled both the engine and tranny since 2004.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Cougar thank you for the information.

Quick Reply: Need a Caravan, what to look for?