Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Flex Fuel vs Standard Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM
sunburninaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex Fuel vs Standard Fuel Pump

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I need to replace the fuel pump on my '99 Grand Caravan due to a hairline crack in the nipple on the top of the pump. My van is a flex-fuel vehicle, however, I don't know that E85 is even available in Arizona and I certainly don't plan on using it if it is. Here's my question - other than the roughly $175 price difference, what is the difference between a fuel pump for a flex fuel system vs that for a standard gas vehicle?

Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
thevalleyboy
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

E85 = 30% worse mileage, so unless you can buy it for 50% less it is just not worth it! Just my 2 cents, you will probably get 5% to 10% ethanol in most gas anyways, which drops mileage

Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Leastofthese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know this for sure, but I'm thinking that the pump designed to withstand the absolute ABUSE that is ethanol blended fuel, may fair better in the forseeable future than a standard pump. Because I guarantee the current crop of politicians ain't gonna cut ethanol subsidies, and I doubt seriously that Mr. Squishy will either when he gets elected. So we're probably stuck with the E-10, E-15 for a while at best and may be forced into using a higher % blend if Obama stays in.
That being said... The E-10 that is all we can get here in NC has wreaked absolute havoc on everything I own with an internal combustion engine, from my truck to my weedeater, and everything in-between! They all run like crap, and I can't keep enough additive in them or keep my fuel systems and plugs clean enough to overcome it. In fact I'm here looking around now because I'm about to have to replace the pump on my '98 Caravan. I've been tuning and replacing sensors and cleaning injectors and the throttle bodies at least once a week since the beginning of Summer, and finally today (in the rain of course) my wife finally got in after work and it wouldn't start. I finally got it going by "shooting" some gas in through the throttle body,and once it fired up I could hear the fuel pump humming...loudly.
Bottom line is I would investigate the E-85 and see if anyone has had any luck with them.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. Been using E10 for years without a problem on 8 cars, two lawn mowers and 2 jet skis. Maybe it's the California air.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Flex Fuel vs Standard Fuel Pump