Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Loud banging under hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM
A_Dodge minivan man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud banging under hood

Greetings everyone!

My wife was driving our 2002 GC and somewhat suddenly heard a loud banging under the hood. She called me and I went to the car to drive it home (about 3 miles).

The banging is somewhat consistent with road terrain. It also sounds like something was hitting the windshield (but I know it's not). On my smooth flat street, I shimmied the steering left and right, and there was no sway or roll as if there was a suspenssion problem. There is some slight grinding or slushing sound when turning to the left though. And there seems to be some

I drove the car up on some ramps and I noticed that the front center engine mount appears to be very off center, and some of the rubber looks to have pulled away from the metal. It is low and to the rear of center. as best as I can tell, none of the other mounts (engine or transmission) look out of place.

Do you think the front engine mount is broken, and is it something a reasonably capable person could do himself? Or do you have any suggestions where else to look for the problem?

Thanks,
Joe

Attached Thumbnails Loud banging under hood-left-side-looking-right.jpg   Loud banging under hood-right-side-looking-left.jpg   Loud banging under hood-top-down-close-up.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
A_Dodge minivan man

Well, I finally broke down and took it to a shop nearby. They confirmed it was not the motor mount. But they did find the problem. It was the left front strut mount (and when they showed me I agreed). Darn if I shouldn't have checked for that myself.

Anyway, since I can't really do that kind of repair, I am letting them do it.

I will be back if/when I have other questions or problems with this 2002 GC. I also have a 1997 GC and a 2007 Sebring. So I am pretty much a Chrysler Motor Car type guy these days.

Thanks again,
Joe

Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That happened to our van this past spring and although I did the repair myself, you're probably wise to have a pro do it.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 PM
mirageman
Professional

that mount does look torn though in the second picture at the 3 o'clock a.m. position

Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM
A_Dodge minivan man
Default It's a miracle!

Had the front struts (and mountings) replaced. Picked up the car and (it's a miracle) the noise is gone!

I looked at my records, and it turned out that back in October of 2010 I had also replaced the struts on this car. I don'r remember where I got that work done (but I can pull out the recipt if I really wanted to), but I know it was not where I just had it done.

I have to say that this new place was very reasonable. And if things work out, it may even become my "trusted" mechanic shop. Thirty years in the Baltimore MD area and I've yet to find a repair shop I can trust that isn't an area dealership (that always is more expensive).

Anyway, I thought I would provide a closeout for this thread. Three days, and all is still good. If things change, I'll be back.

Quick Reply: Loud banging under hood