Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Blower motor resistor problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Toekneemac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor resistor problem

Hi all,

My blower motor resistor fried out. The plug harness melted. I replaced the BMR(blower motor resistor) with a new one. Since the plug was destroyed, I simply plugged the wires in individually and everything worked fine for 9 months or so. Then it happened again, except while working on it, I lost the wiring pattern! And do not recall the plug sequence. It did not work the first time, so I switched the two main wires, and now the BMR just starts to smoke. The fuse did melt, and I replaced it, and the relay works fine.

How do I find the plug sequence, does it matter, or did I get a bad BMR? How can I check any of this? If the motor blew, could I have blown it in a matter of 2-3 seconds of having it wired backwards?

What else could the problem be?

Any ideas would be massively appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the resistor went and melted the plug then you also need a new blower motor. I just replaced all 3 on my van it is now working perfect whereas before it would blow the resistor every 3-6 months when I was too cheap to do it right.

I can't help you with the wiring sequence though, I don't have wiring diagrams.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Toekneemac

Originally Posted by b1lk1
If the resistor went and melted the plug then you also need a new blower motor. I just replaced all 3 on my van it is now working perfect whereas before it would blow the resistor every 3-6 months when I was too cheap to do it right.

I can't help you with the wiring sequence though, I don't have wiring diagrams.
So it's the motor causing the problems, not the resistor? If so, why did it continue to work after I first replaced the BMR? Was it just a slow gradual wear down of the resistor caused by the motor? Because after the meltdown, a new Blower motor resistor seemed to have fixed the problem, until it happened again, lol. Thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 AM
papaduck
Professional

You are going to have to replace the blower motor. The blower cools the resister and if the motor is dragging it will continue to blow the resister.

I can't help with the wireing diagram.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM
b1lk1
Veteran

Originally Posted by Toekneemac
So it's the motor causing the problems, not the resistor? If so, why did it continue to work after I first replaced the BMR? Was it just a slow gradual wear down of the resistor caused by the motor? Because after the meltdown, a new Blower motor resistor seemed to have fixed the problem, until it happened again, lol. Thanks
What was wrong with MY blower motor was that it was drawing far too many amps through the resistor because the motor was work out and hard to spin. With enough amperage, it would still work, but at lower speeds it was just drawing far too much. It got to the point where it would blow the 40A fuse under the hood so I knew it was time before I caused a wiring problem.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Toekneemac

Well, okay, I am sold. Change my blower motor. Thanks for the help guys. Now comes the fun part, that hard to reach screw. Fun. But thanks for the help and confirmation guys.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM
b1lk1
Veteran

I got to that screw with some work, I did NOT put that screw back in. I don't like the suggestion of breaking it off that you see so often. It's not THAT hard to get to, I just didn't bother with putting it back.

Quick Reply: Blower motor resistor problem