Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Grand Caravan no forward gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM
BThis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Grand Caravan no forward gears

Starting out from a stoplight coincidentally right next to my dealership, at about 10mph, my 2005 Grand Caravan in Drive apparently went out of gear. Reverse and Park work, and when I put it in Drive it sounds like it's going into gear but it doesn't go forward. While backing to the dealership it did go into Drive a couple of times but stopped working again after a few seconds. The dealership wants $265 to pull the pan and check pressures, then says upper $2K to rebuild or replace the transmission.

What's the probable cause? What to do?

I suspect it will cost more at the dealer; would I be better to take it elsewhere or is there an advantage leaving it there? Help!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM
BThis

Also, what questions should I ask the dealership?

Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 PM
mirageman
Professional

It appears as though you left it at the dealer? Is it outside at the dealer? Do you have another key? if so, go back to the van and don't tell anyone anything unless they ask what you're doing there. start it up, pop the hood and check if you have transmission fluid in there at all. You might have to check several times in several minutes as the level continues to drop and often times the dipstick is hard to read. make sure you look at both sides of the dipstick. one side might appear high because of the fluid in the tube leaving a mark. If the transmission fluid is way low or not on the dipstick at all, you've found your problem. then go get 3-4 quarts of atf+4 (be careful, make sure it is atf+4). take a small mouthed funnel with you, put 2 quarts in the same tube that you checked the fluid level with and recheck with the engine on. if anywhere between "cold" and "hot", you have enough to get you home. Then go get yourself a transmission filter and drain the fluid in a clean container. If you want to reuse the fluid, make sure it is clean and reuse, otherwise you'll have to get another 4 quarts or so, ask the auto parts place how much you need. clean the pan and the magnet of any debris and you're done! If you DO have enough fluid in the parking lot at the dealer, I would try and see if your shift lever needs to be adjusted. do that by trying gear 2. Don't care too much if your shifter is not in it's bracket holder place. If it only works when you hold the shifter in a different position than indicated on your dash, you'll have to inquire about adjusting the shift lever. The factory service manual of my 98 says that if it starts in park and neutral, the shift lever is properly adjusted. If you end up stealing your own vehicle from the dealer lot, be prepared to explain why on monday morning! I wonder if there's a law about taking back your own vehicle in such a situation.

Last edited by mirageman; 10-13-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:44 PM
mirageman
Professional

I'm betting you're way low on fluid, or your transmission filter is clogged. If you do have enough fluid and it seems to work in the lot, chances are your filter is clogged and is not allowing the transmission to suck up enough fluid to build pressure. It will work for a few minutes or so befor plugging up again, most likely on the way home...what happens is when you shut it off, the crud on the filter settles off the filter after a while. then when you start it up again, it will work well enough to allow it to move until it resucks enough of the crud to block the filter. you run the risk of it leaving you on the road on the way to your house. If you ARE low on fluid, it is a safe bet that if you add fluid, you'll get home ok. then do the filter and oil change as above. good luck.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:52 PM
mirageman
Professional

$265 is too much, almost triple what lots of places charge for a transmission flush and fill. How many miles? has the transmission fluid and/or transmission filter ever been changed? If you lost fluid, you'll need to know why, hopefully it is just a gasket that leaked and left you without fluid. If you're not interested in doing it yourself, your options should include any well known shop in your area. they don't call it the "stealership" for nothing.

Quick Reply: 2005 Grand Caravan no forward gears