Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 grand caravan oxygen sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:09 PM
dabuddha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 grand caravan oxygen sensor location

My check engine light has been on for a while and according to autozone, they said my upstream O2 sensor needs to be replaced. I got the part and looking at my Haynes manual, it says the O2 sensor screws into the exhaust manifold. This is where my noobness comes in, I can't seem to find it on my van (I'm kind of an amateur when it comes to cars so please forgive me). It looks like it'd be an easy fix and I'd rather do it myself instead of shelling out $180 to my mechanic. If anyone can please describe how I can find it that would be much appreciated!

TIA!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sits on top of the rear exhaust manifold at the back of the engine. Here's a video for a sensor replacement on a 2004 GC but yours is essentially in the same spot. It has some good tips. More tips? If you have a problem getting it to break loose, run the engine a few minutes to warm the exhaust. Another? Many say don't use a Bosch sensor.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM
dabuddha

Originally Posted by Cougar41
It sits on top of the rear exhaust manifold at the back of the engine. Here's a video for a sensor replacement on a 2004 GC but yours is essentially in the same spot. It has some good tips. More tips? If you have a problem getting it to break loose, run the engine a few minutes to warm the exhaust. Another? Many say don't use a Bosch sensor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5bQ89qljU

oooooh Bosch was what I bought. What should I be using?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
dabuddha

TY btw for the video. I'm going outside in the morning to see if I can find it (wish it wasn't already dark!)

Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Chrysler uses Denso sensors. Delco is another. Just about any name brand sensor besides Bosch. I base the Bosch thumbs down on what I've read on forums over the years. Many have no problems. Many do. Another brand will give you a better chance to only have to do this once. I have zero personal experience with Bosch sensors.

Quick Reply: 97 grand caravan oxygen sensor location