Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'98 Caravan - Ignition kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 AM
pcexhaust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Caravan - Ignition kill switch

All,

My '98 Dodge Grand Caravan was stolen. The thief popped out the ignition cylinder and started it with a screw driver. I just paid a mechanic to replace the ignition switch so I could stop using a screw driver to start the vehicle. I would like to put a kill switch in place to make it harder to steal the van again. I think the best thing is to put a switch inline between one of the wires on the harness that connects to the ignition switch.

I'm a pretty handy person and understand electronics. I'm looking for a starting point so I can go figure out (Google) what needs to be done. What wire should I break with the switch? How much current is going across that wire? I was hoping for a low current wire. What is the name of this wire? Any idea what color it is?

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:50 AM
papaduck
Professional

Instead of disableing the ignition, disable the starter.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 AM
pcexhaust

If I put a switch inline with the cable on the ignition switch harness called "starter wire" isn't that the same thing? It seems that the starter wire will be less than 10amp and it would still be to keep the car from starting. Thoughts?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes same thing. Suggest using a relay, switch and fuse. A relay will free you up to use just about any switch rather than a bulky switch to handle the power.

Quick Reply: '98 Caravan - Ignition kill switch