Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

03 Caravan won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Walt1234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Caravan won't start

Hey guys

I have a problem with my 03 grand caravan sport 3.3l FWD. I purchased it from an auction with very minor damage to the front(bumper grill, rads, headlight). I took all the damaged parts off and wanted to start it to see if it as running. I checked the oil, good. When I turn he key, I just hear the accessories relay clicking nothing else. I figured it could be the starter maybe, but I jumped it, and it cranks over easily. Checked the starter relay, the relay itself is good, I found that I don't have a ground on the relay, but I believe it gets the ground through the PCM right? So if jump that to the negative of the battery, plug the relay back in, turn the key, it cranks, but still won't fire up. I pulled one of the spark plugs out, and there is no spark, and the spark plug is dry(no fuel). Would this suggest the PCM is bad?

The van also has a python xcrs 500m command start installed, but that seems to be fine. It does the same thing if I try start it with the remote.

Any advice anybody?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at a wiring diagram it looks like you have two problems. No ground to the starter relay coil from the PCM (no crank) and the PCM is not grounding the Automatic Shutdown Relay (ASD)coil (no start). Both could be caused by the PCM. Changing the PCM now is an expensive shot in the dark. First make sure the conditions the PCM is looking for are there. Is the PCM getting power from the ignition switch telling it you're trying to start and is the PCM getting timing signals from the cam and crankshaft sensors telling it the engine is safe to start?

When you supply your own PCM ground at the starter relay you are bypassing part of the control side of the relay meaning the circuit that supplies power to the starter control circuit in the PCM. It appears this circuit turns on the ground supplied to the starter relay coil. If power is getting to contact #38 on connector C1 of the PCM with the key turned to start but it's not cranking, then you need a new PCM. Just verify the ground wire from the PCM to the starter relay coil has continuity. If that's the case then there's no point in checking the ASD circuit.

Would you like the wiring diagram? Send me a personal message with an email address and a link back to your thread and I'll send it to you.

A quick test? Jostle the IPM and connections as you try to start. The IPM on early 4th generation vans has a known corrosion problem. Wouldn't hurt to look for corrosion on the connectors. Disconnect the battery before disconnecting the IPM.

Does "jumped it" mean you jumped the battery, the starter, or jumpered contacts at the the starter relay socket? If you jumped the battery you have a weak battery or poor connections. Fix that first.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-17-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 PM
animal1207
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 grand caravan won't start

Well hello, I have a 2003 grand caravan that won't even turn over. Yes I get the relay clicking (wrong one),and jumping the starter solenoid and starter works. I don't get the full pump,starter relay,or spark. No trouble codes. New battery,clean connectors. some one offered a wiring diagram please thank you Don

Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First welcome aboard. Second, I just sent you 4 diagrams on engine controls and the starting circuit. If you need more let me know.

Quick Reply: 03 Caravan won't start