Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Caravan Has Me Baffled!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Raygussysid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Caravan Has Me Baffled!

Hello All!
1996 Grand Caravan, 186,000, 3.3. I think I've read every post ever written about ignition issues with this vehicle. The van has no spark on cylinders 3 and 6 and is throwing a P0353. Here's what I've done so far and which parts I've thrown at it.

New plugs, wires, coil, ecm. I started by checking for a voltage pulse at the coil connector while trying to start, nothing on the red/yellow wire. I checked for continuity from the coil connector all the way back to the ecm harness, no problems there. Hooked up a test light right at the ecm harness on the red/yellow wire, but the light does not flash when I turn it over. I'm using a 12v test light, is there enough juice there to make it flicker? Is there any way to tell for sure if this is a flex plate issue before I try to exchange the ecm?

Many thanks!
Ray

Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 AM
grswat
Veteran

I'd lean towards either the flexplate or crank sensor since you have put new coil andecm in and are getting the same problem. Maybe that part of the flexplate is damaged or something about it makes the crank sensor not see the notch. Thats definately a weird one.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the 4 speed 41TE there is supposed to be an inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing you can remove to get a look at the flex plate.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Raygussysid
Default I've made progress! I think....

I took the PCM back to Auto-Groan and convinced them to give me a new one on the grounds it was not putting out a coil driver signal. I put the new PCM in and it ran like a new one. After a couple days the wife told me it started quiting on her when she would come to a stop, but start right back up again. So i figured I might as well throw more parts at it, right? I put in a new camshaft pos sensor and crankshaft pos sensor last night. Now it starts hard and idles rough, but doesn't missfire at all. No engine light. Both sensors came with the paper spacers already attached and I seated the sensors just so they bottomed out then snugged up the retaining bolts. Possible it's just taking time for the PCM to learn the new sensor input or am i just wishful thinking again?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1996 Caravan Has Me Baffled!