Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Looking to find out why you are loosing so much oil?? Just ask Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
well each side to the story but no car should eat any oil. not in or near out of warranty period. what happens when the care has over 100,km then what?. regards dealers, yes i agree they should have a chance to do a oil consumption for tests and not just drop in a new engine cause it eats a slight amount. "slight amout meanting whats a fair amount not the 1letre they say which is to me not right. i figuire if u eat 1/4 to max 1/2 would on a steady oil changes levels would be fine for some engines wearing in.
We don't even know IF he's in the warranty period. That is the point I was trying to make. Of course it's not right, but if he doesn't want to engage in a dialogue about his situation and just complain, what's the use in even posting about it?

There are several people on the forums with connections who could possibly do something on his behalf to change his situation IF he is in the right. I mean...who wants to participate in a forum that's just a "bitchin' board" ? That stuff gets old really fast and people tend to not hang around much if that's all they read.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-15-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes me lose more attention the fastest is when people completely fail to understand that the dealer is never responsible for warranty defects and repairs. The manufacturer is solely responsible for these things. The dealer is just there to sell and maintain cars, they are never responsible for manufacturing issues.

The dealer is just doing what the manufacturer says. If he goes outside that agreement then it costs YOU the money to have your car diagnosed and fixed.

As for this whole industry standard, it has been around for as long as I remember and it is basically an oral agreement. Like nearly all oral agreements, they do stand up in court just fine. Noone owes you a written explanation of ANYTHING.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by b1lk1
What makes me lose more attention the fastest is when people completely fail to understand that the dealer is never responsible for warranty defects and repairs. The manufacturer is solely responsible for these things. The dealer is just there to sell and maintain cars, they are never responsible for manufacturing issues.

The dealer is just doing what the manufacturer says. If he goes outside that agreement then it costs YOU the money to have your car diagnosed and fixed.
True in most respects, but we do have SOME influence in the direction things go. It really depends on the shop in many cases.

One of three things is happening here. The service dept is blowing the guy off, the customer is not cooperating in the process or there is no significant oil consumption.

And for the record that "industry standard" IS bullshizz. A quart every 750, 1000 is not acceptable. My 15 year old truck with 115K on it only uses a quart every 3000 miles. Sometimes less.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's sad the industry had to make up a nice rule for themselves that absolves them from building an oil burner instead of a normal engine.

It's like my van, every time I fix a leaking gasket, another one bites the dust. Vacuum/PCV system is working perfectly, near perfect compression but I continue to replace them. I'm not even gonna start talking about the transmission leakage.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM
jaajaa40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
If you have a point to make, then make it. There are plenty of threads about this topic and there is no need that you go and post in every one of them, then start your own thread about it.

Coming on the internet and posting a bunch of hooey without a story behind it, year model, mileage, etc is a huge waste of your time and everyone reading it.
Sorry Sir. I do admit I was rash not putting my details.
I drive a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.8L V6 OHV Engine. I now have 50,000 miles, right at the time that Dodge has told me my oil consumption is going to get even worse and loose one quart for each 750 miles.

I can put hooey on the posts, like how it was discovered that I was leaking a combination 5 different fluids/gases from my vehicle just after my warrantee expired, but I will not go into details about that do that, that was a deal specific issue, not Dodge Corp. as a whole.

The hooey is what Dodge is hiding. But the fact that Dodge has so many 3.8L V6 OHV Engines out there and is 1) putting up a front of a web page to pretend like there is some "industry standard" on this along with 2) not having the "check engine oil" light come on in their vehicles until well over half the oil is gone... it just burns me.

The "check oil" light will only come on when you are about 3.5 quarts low. THAT is EXACTLY my experience while trying a to run an oil consumption test with Dodge... (I found this out early then confirmed it During my family road trip vacation where Dodge asked me to take hours out of my time and find a dealer to verify this). This is a folly also, I bet that Dodge adjusted the threshold not to alert drivers. I have had other respond that they have seen this also very low threshold also.

Here is a different way to look at this... WELL over half the oil in my engine is gone between 3k mile oil changes! Is that not a little too dangerous for those who may miss checking the oil. I wonder how many victims had engine repairs done at their cost because of this, not knowing there were driving miles and miles over the years with extremely low on oil.

I imagine that, pulling into the dealer and being 3 quarts of oil low for a routine oil change, and the dealer says "Everything looks good Johnnie... see you next month..." … what?

Here is another way of looking at what Dodge says is normal. Please correct me if I am wrong. The safe zone on the oil dip stick is only 1 quart wide. If they do an oil change and fill up the oil to mid scale on the dip stick, you only can drive about 600 miles until you fall under the safe zone. What is the safe zone for if Dodge allows this?

The fact is many people don't check their oil, so they are driving low on oil a majority of the time. They take their cars into the dealer for an oil change and never know the issue.

Please respond..... I would like to know if my facts are not correct. I am just pointing out that Dodge will do nothing if you are only loosing oil at the rate they say is "normal", a rate that no one in this day and age can agree with.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
jaajaa40

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Try a new dealer, we fix oil consumption issues all the time. Not all dealers are the same. Nothing I hate more than someone having a bad experience and then lumping us all on their pile of "you guys suck".
What can you do if the oil consumption test comes back in a range that Dodge says is normal... I would love some advice and I do admit I have only seen one dealer. Don't you need Corp. approval to work on the vehicle? I am at the "Mileage above 50,000 So Dodge's normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven". What can I do?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

What oil are you using? The dealers bulk oil, synthetic...?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 PM
jaajaa40

Dealer says the van uses 5w20.
Two oil changes ago the dealer put in 10w30 to reduce the oil consumption, it did not work, it still lost 1 quart+ per 1k miles.
The dealer put 5w20 back in.

I noticed that you are a dodge Tech... would I void anything if I put in synthetic... I am still so scared that I am going to loose more than is healthy for my van one day.

On one road trip this summer I lost very little oil on a 500 mile drive up to my location, on the way back I lost 1 quart in 500 miles. The dealer could only verify 1 quart lost in the combined 1k miles, so they said "no problem found".

Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

So....all of the consumption has been when using the dealer's bulk oil from the trigger pumps? No you'e not going to void anything. I didn't inquire because I was recommending it though.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaajaa40
The "check oil" light will only come on when you are about 3.5 quarts low. THAT is my EXACTLY my experience while trying a to run an oil consumption test with Dodge... This is a folly also, I bet that Dodge adjusted the threshold not to alert drivers.
What you refer to as the "check oil" light is actually the "Oil Pressure Warning Light".
From the 09 Caravan owners manual:
Oil Pressure Warning Light
This light indicates low engine oil pressure ... This light does not indicate how much oil is in the engine. The engine oil level must be checked under the hood.
Although low oil pressure can be caused by low oil levels, it seems to be a common misconception that the light indicates low oil level.

George

Quick Reply: Looking to find out why you are loosing so much oil?? Just ask Dodge