Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Looking to find out why you are loosing so much oil?? Just ask Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 AM
newtododge1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it for what it's worth but I have a 05 f-150 that from new would suck down motorcraft or mobil1 a quart at 1000 miles. Have used either Amsoil or Valvoline syn. for the last 6 years in it and as soon as I changed to either Amsoil or Valvoline it only uses a quart every 2500 miles. I now have 175000 miles on it and it's still 1 quart per 2500 miles. I'm using Valvolne Syn in my 2012 Caravan with no oil consumption.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 AM
1999caravanownerstl

I put Mobil 1 in my 69 Camaro when it first came out maybe mid 70'S. Never had any oil consumption issues but different engines react to each brand of oil. Sometimes you can mix and match to reduce the consumption.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Montreal300
Professional

No two engines are ever the same simply because they are not made to xactly the same tolerances. Machine tools wear on assembly lines and casting vary according to all kinds of things. No OEM in his right mind would ever guarantee an oil consumption figure.
It falls to the owner to determine the cause of excessive oil consumption by doing compression and blowby tests. Once identified, the cause can be moved into either mechanical or emissions warantees.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM
jaajaa40

Originally Posted by Montreal300
Just though I'd add that if you did have the oil light come on at any time, for any reason and you continued to drive for ANY distance, you increased your oil consumption in the future by starving the engine of lubrication.
My name for that little light is it's the "you're too late light". When it comes on, you're screwed unless you turn off your engine NOW.
To those that never read the owners manual and never check their oil and fluids, you get what you deserve.

Hey... please slow down... don't assume that people are not checking their oil level. Most are... Or maybe I am taking your words out of contents.

Something went wrong in the engine for the oil level to come on in the first place.

I change my oil every 3k and check it routinely every two weeks. My 2009 Dodge was prefect on oil consumption the first year I owned it. 2 years latter I noticed it was loose oil so I started checking it more. The one day the check oil light came on, within two week of me checking the oil level and confirming it was good. What happened? There are sooooo... many people with the same story. Only Dodge knows the truth.... not you or I.

The only reason you can say "you get what you deserve" is because you don't have an engine with an issue, and you should be happy for that and not rub it in peoples faces.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 AM
kallsop
Rookie

My '99 GC 3.3L went to almost 220K miles with zero oil consumption. Set it to dipstick full on an oil change, and it was always at the same level when I checked it later. I got the same 1 qt./1000 mile story on my Cadillac STS with the Northstar engine, which by design uses oil (coarse cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls). Our '08 T&C 3.3L is at near 60K miles and uses a little oil, more than the '99 GC did at 220K miles.

Sometimes you get a really good one, sometimes you get a Northstar.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:27 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Default Northstar, et al

Originally Posted by kallsop
My '99 GC 3.3L went to almost 220K miles with zero oil consumption. Set it to dipstick full on an oil change, and it was always at the same level when I checked it later. I got the same 1 qt./1000 mile story on my Cadillac STS with the Northstar engine, which by design uses oil (coarse cross hatch pattern on the cylinder walls). Our '08 T&C 3.3L is at near 60K miles and uses a little oil, more than the '99 GC did at 220K miles.

Sometimes you get a really good one, sometimes you get a Northstar.
It may have been mentioned, but I didn't see it-- Go to various club posts for other makes and you'll find that the oil burning problem exists for many brands, but more importantly, you'll find that all the companies refer to this "industry" standard of one quart per 1000 miles. So it truly is an agreed upon, if not official, definition they all use.

Quick Reply: Looking to find out why you are loosing so much oil?? Just ask Dodge