Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 AM
papaduck
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans leak

My van has developed a leak over the last 3 weeks. It started with leaving a small spot on the garage floor and in two weeks it became much larger. I thought it was the pan gasket as I had changed the filter 17k miles ago. The rear bolts were slightly loose and I gave them about 1/4 turn. I cleaned the oil from the pan and the area around it. After a round trip of about 35 miles I checked it again and the pan was dry. The oil seems to be coming from the input shaft or torque converter area. If it is a shaft seal that has split, this is something that I do not have the equipment to do myself and may have to find a trans shop to make the repair.

Is there something else in this area that might leak that I can repair without removing the trans and engine?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 AM
papaduck
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak fixed

The leak was from the oil cooler to the trans.

I have removed the hose from the trans 3 times when I have pumped the oil out when changing the oil and before removing the pan to change the filter. I have reused the spring clamp and now learned that the spring clamp should not be reused as it gets weaker when it is removed.

Quick Reply: trans leak